[SOLVED] Red EZ Debug CPU light lit, no boot after attempted overclock.

Dans Hardware

Commendable
Nov 12, 2016
Hi, I'm running a Ryzen 1600x, rx480, 16gb of ram, a samsung 850 evo 500gb, toshiba 3tb HDD and an MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic which I built around a year and half ago, the release of ryzen 5. I had a look in bios today and realised I hadn't updated my bios in a while so I went andflashed and had no problems but before booting into windows I decided I would attempt a ram overclock as they had never worked previously so i set XMP to 3200mhz and exited bios... The pc stayed with only the cpu light lit and no signal for a very long period of time so I decided to reset the pc... Now whenever I turn it on the cpu light comes on and never progresses past this and doesnt boot... I have attempted to clear cmos by removing the battery but to no avail... Any suggestions? All other posts seem to be about new builds...
Thanks, Dan

Solution
Ok after setting my memory to 3600mhz and leaving voltage at auto i tried to recreate your failed xmp. My pc refused to boot, and first the cpu light lit up then the memory lights joined it. My cpu fan ramped up and stayed at the same speed. The 2 lights stayed on untill i cut power the the pc. My moniter simply stayed blank. On a normal boot my cpu and memory lights light up as my screen says gtx 1050 and go away to a vga light. After the vga light the boot light flashed for a split second before getting past the bios splash screen. My fan ramps up and down during a normal boot. After the failed boot i reset my cmos and booted up correctly.

Dans Hardware

Commendable
Nov 12, 2016
I'll try it as soon as I can tomorrow, away from the pc right now. But when I pulled the battery it was unplugged and off... I wasn't aware ryzen worked that way so i'll definitely try it, thanks. Am I not wrong in saying that I could short something if the PSU is on?

Most newer motherboards will have a clear cmos jumper near the cmos battery. Refer to your owners manual to find where the jumper is. Bridge the 2 pins while your pc has power plugged in but while the pc is off. This will reset your cmos and clear the failed overclock. The battery trick doesnt work on my msi b350 motherboard so i have done the pin jumping a few times.

Reactions: Trytomiss2

Dans Hardware

Commendable
Nov 12, 2016
I did it like 4 or 5 times leaving it for about 10 to 60 secs each time, and I tried using a screwdriver a few days ago and decided wires would be more reliable, I'm genuinely very confused with my system...

Dans Hardware

Commendable
Nov 12, 2016
I have tried Reseating RAM but not my CPU as of yet, I'll give it a go but i doubt its going to solve the problem because the systems been running just fine for over a year and a half... I have to do something right now but ill try it when I can... Thank you very much for your help by the way.

Dans Hardware

Commendable
Nov 12, 2016
Well, I just reseated my CPU and tried clearing Cmos again but the problem persists... I'm not even sure what part is malfunctioning, I would guess the mobo but honestly I dont know... I also dont know how I could damage the mobo by overclocking ram with XMP or if the mobo could even still power the fans if it was bricked or damaged.

Dans Hardware

Commendable
Nov 12, 2016
I tried that earlier... I switched them into all sorts of different configs none worked... also does your mobo have a debug system and if so does it do similar to what mine does when it doesnt boot or?
Thanks for your help anyway man I really appreciate it

Ok after setting my memory to 3600mhz and leaving voltage at auto i tried to recreate your failed xmp. My pc refused to boot, and first the cpu light lit up then the memory lights joined it. My cpu fan ramped up and stayed at the same speed. The 2 lights stayed on untill i cut power the the pc. My moniter simply stayed blank. On a normal boot my cpu and memory lights light up as my screen says gtx 1050 and go away to a vga light. After the vga light the boot light flashed for a split second before getting past the bios splash screen. My fan ramps up and down during a normal boot. After the failed boot i reset my cmos and booted up correctly.

Solution

Dans Hardware

Commendable
Nov 12, 2016
Firstly, thank you so much for going and taking the time to this for me. It seems like your problem is similar to mine but i get nothing but the cpu debug light. I even tried running the system with no ram sticks at all and the debug lights for that didnt come on so I have a feeling i mightve done something to my mobo... I don't really understand how but it doesnt seem like resetting the cmos is working either and I have tried countless times with the battery, jumpers and screwdrivers so i feelI i might have to just purchase a new board...

Apr 7, 2021
An alternative solution, is to get a memory stick with slow speed, like 2400Mhz and use it to recover your mainboard.
Changing the memory will make it re-detect it and will use the speed from its chip, by default, which is a stable speed (2400Mhz).
This way you can get into BIOS.
Then, you can select desired speed and swap with your other stick or sticks.

Clearing Bios didn't work on my end. Had a lot of trouble trying to recover, I though the cpu or mobo was faulty.

TRENDING THREADS