Red Hat: SOPA Threatens Innovation, Economic Growth

Status
Not open for further replies.

lumberjack86

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
These bills are just like any other prejudice in America. They don't like what they don't/can't understand, so lets just ruin the whole thing.

My baby's mama is so annoying. Anything she doesn't understand must be a lie, some trick, or just plain bad because her ego is so inflated, she doesn't believe its possible that anything could be outside the range of her intelligence. I think that may apply here as well to some government officials. I can't say 'all' b/c that'd be unfair/stereotypical, etc., but if the shoe fits...

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Well said Red Hat...not only are these bills bad for our freedoms (which apparently many lawmakers don't seem to be all that concerned about), but it could drastically impact the economy of anyone not associated with the RIAA and MPAA.

"Measures that block the freedom and openness of the Internet also hinder innovation".

Swap "internet" to "world" and we can start talking about the broken and over-ill-mannered-abused IP system.

Well, fight for your rights, USA people! Don't let the un-educated old dogs go shooting with blind eyes.

Cheers!

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
So how exactly does this SOPA bomplaint process work?

If someone makes an infringement complaint, who do they complain to? What kind of proof do they have to provide to substantiate their complaint? Some new govt agency?

What level is this enforced at to block an "offender"? A DNS block? Won't this just make USA based DNS useless and people will turn to foreign DNS by default? Will ISPs just not do DNS after time? Will they have some sort of "hard" block in place that inspects packets? Can't encrypted proxies and such work around this? What about Tor? Will the US have to use DPI to actually enforce this? It seems all of this cat and mouse has already been addressed with the GFC.

Or is this going to be done more by the "law" approach? Serving subpeonas and such. And I wonder how this would work if you are remoting to a foreign computer outside of US law.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
I have an idea, why don't we just hire a bunch of government officials to go to peoples house's and watch them while they use the internet to make sure they don't pirate stuff.... we'll call it "poopa"

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
SOPA, if going thru, is going to backfire on so many levels, it is not going to be funny anymore.
The moment you start blocking access to foreign websites you know there is going to be a retaliation.
You block our sites, so we block yours.
We have a lot to loose in this game and it is all to 'protect' the Limousine and Red Carpet world of poor musicians, Actors and Studios.

How about for, say, 1 week we do not buy any music and do not go to any movie ?
That's the kind of blackout that will get the attention of the right people.

[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]SOPA, if going thru, is going to backfire on so many levels, it is not going to be funny anymore.The moment you start blocking access to foreign websites you know there is going to be a retaliation.You block our sites, so we block yours.We have a lot to loose in this game and it is all to 'protect' the Limousine and Red Carpet world of poor musicians, Actors and Studios.How about for, say, 1 week we do not buy any music and do not go to any movie ?That's the kind of blackout that will get the attention of the right people.[/citation]

well not going to the movies will be easy considering there are no good movies coming out for months at the most. and don't start with the star wars 3D crap remakes. they are a joke

bearracuda

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]well not going to the movies will be easy considering there are no good movies coming out for months at the most. and don't start with the star wars 3D crap remakes. they are a joke[/citation]

Well, that's exactly what he means. Those are exactly the type of movies we'd want to boycott. They're utterly blatant cashcows being put out purely for the sake of lining the studio's pocket. Actors and musicians these days get a PITTANCE compared to the total profit from albums and movies. (Though a Pittance from projects like those are still about 10 times more than the average american makes...) All the money goes to the studio, the publisher, or the record label. Which is why they have no hesitations about shoving more piles of crap down our throat and jacking up the price every time they do it.

fritters

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
I pirated The Thing (2011.) I would never have bought it. I don't know what the ending was because while it was playing on my right monitor, I was playing Terraria on the left one. If it wasn't an option for me to so easily pirate it, I would never have seen it at all.
There are more alternatives to pirating every movie, album, and video game than just simply buying it all. The whole world doesn't exist to consume what the entertainment industry is selling (though they seem to think so.)

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]hoof_hearted[/nom]If someone makes an infringement complaint, who do they complain to? What kind of proof do they have to provide to substantiate their complaint? Some new govt agency?[/citation]
Last read, no proof needed, only a simple complaint.

[citation][nom]hoof_hearted[/nom]Or is this going to be done more by the "law" approach? Serving subpeonas and such. And I wonder how this would work if you are remoting to a foreign computer outside of US law.[/citation]
The law will be enforced by government controlled servers/switches/routers....same way China filters web content.

mugiebahar

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
Microsoft should come out and say publicly they oppose SOPA and PIPA. If they do it I think you"ll hear abig ripple. Hell they owe their sucsses to piracy, and now that they became the big guy they should realize that it "piracy" put them there. Im not saying dont pay for things, heck i buy every lil program, song and everything now as an adult but when your a kid you test boundries and hey down load something you shouldnt have. but what you gonna put kids in jail? MPAA put out good (not rehashed movies) RiAA make good songs and a full cd worth buying( then buying 1 song like what everyone does on itunes now wouldn't have happened) If you make it worth peoples while and cheap enough that it wont kill you to buy it you"ll make your money. Also 15-20 years ago software was very expensive because not everyone had a computer and it took a long time to make. Now with the internet and billions of people having computers, and tools to make software that much easier yoo cannot expect people to pay the same for it. Hell software should look at hardware as the prim example. its dirt cheap and throw away. just like software. 1-2 years and you need a new one. so should be priced as such. price like toilet paper. everyone buys toilet paper almost nobody steals that.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]unther[/nom]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJIuYgIvKsc[/citation]

Don't put up a link without a short explanation what it is about.
It's just plain uncourteous.

G

Good luck to you, people! We in Europe are already doomed - our SOPA (called ACTA) was already hideously voted in December.

unther

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Don't put up a link without a short explanation what it is about.It's just plain uncourteous.[/citation]
Sorry about that, the guy is basically going about how CNET a division of CBS had the exclusive right to distribute the file sharing programs that started all this mess in the first place

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]SOPA, if going thru, is going to backfire on so many levels, it is not going to be funny anymore.The moment you start blocking access to foreign websites you know there is going to be a retaliation.You block our sites, so we block yours.We have a lot to loose in this game and it is all to 'protect' the Limousine and Red Carpet world of poor musicians, Actors and Studios.How about for, say, 1 week we do not buy any music and do not go to any movie ?That's the kind of blackout that will get the attention of the right people.[/citation]
I have another idea that builds on yours. If the bills pass, you people could post a chart from Tom's Hardware on the MPAA/RIAA's site, and then Bestofmedia could claim copyright infringement. Ka-boom.

Northwestern

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Replace "1 week" in the second to last sentence with "a few years" and you have my stance on this.

I don't need mind-numbing TV or movies. I can just pick up a book.

gadiantian

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
"Six prominent Senators, including the ranking member of the Judiciary Committee, who previously supported the bill called for delay.."

Vote these guys out of office so it becomes a permanent delay!

Status
Not open for further replies.