Question Red led goes to orange and PC doesn't boot. ASUS mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

reapzstar

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2016
Just received my i5 13600KF and RX 6800 XT, (CPU is brand new GPU is used) and for some reason when booting the motherboard will give a red light which then immediately goes to orange, stays there for like 3-4 seconds and the PC won't boot.
I've tried resetting CMOS battery, it would then work but after applying the XMP profile for my RAM and saving it, wouldn't boot again.
Then switched my RAM into A1 B1 and booted again, it worked, but upon restarting it then wouldn't boot again.
Could this be an issue with the motherboard?
Starting it up for the first time it booted just fine, tried a few games, everything was perfect(apart from the insane temps of the CPU).
The leds this time went to white and then green, booted perfectly.
I looked at a few threads that included pretty much the same issue with ASUS motherboards and one guy claimed that after swapping the mobo out for an MSI one it solved the issue.
I spent a ton of money of components in the past few weeks, really wouldn't want to change my Mobo again, as I just did from an ASRock B660M PRO RS.
My current specs:
ASUS TUF B660M PLUS D4(bios version 2014)
13600KF(Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB)
2x16GB Corsair Vengeance RS 3600Mhz
MSI Gaming Trio X 6800 XT
Seasonic Prime Ultra 850 Titanium
2xnvme SSDs, a regular one and a 1 TB HDD

Please advise, as this is quite frustrating.

Best regards,

Richard

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ram in A2, B2.
Look in the manual. Red=cpu, yellow=dram, white=vga, green=boot device.
I've tried resetting CMOS battery, it would then work but after applying the XMP profile for my RAM and saving it, wouldn't boot again.
Most likely there's a ram issue, maybe the ram just needs seating better/reseating or could be needing a bios update (just because the board is new to you, doesn't mean the bios is)

reapzstar

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2016
I have updated the BIOS to 2014 before I got the 13th gen chip.
I solved the issue(sort of).
The XMP profile was causing it, which is really odd since I didn't have any problems with the 12400f CPU.
It boosts just fine without it.
Any idea on that?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The XMP settings are generic. Think of a Bell curve, you'll have the vast majority that will have zero issues with XMP as the timings are set for that center 0 point. However, that also means there's 2 very small sections of ppl whose memory controller, motherboard, cpu, something, that will have some small issue with those generic settings.

Sometimes it's a bios issue, many amd users simply had to manually plug in the numbers and it worked, sometimes 1.35v isn't enough for stability and needs 1.36v, sometimes it's the memory controller being a little weak (VCCIO /VCCSA) and could use a small voltage bump.

XMP is an OC, the ram is guaranteed to be able to run at the XMP speed, it's not guaranteed to do so on your particular pc, as is, auto, right out of the box.

reapzstar

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2016
The computer now only boots with 1 stick of ram, I've been having all kinds of issues all day, this is so frustrating...
I had to set the Mhz back to 3200 and it would work, after I did a restart about 3 hours ago, I couldn't get it to start, only with 1 stick of ram(checked both individually, neither are faulty).
This is driving me crazy, any idea on this?
Tried clearing CMOS, booting with 1 ram then enabling XMP, reset again, put in the other stick, but it would get stuck at the orange led every single time.

Please provide some advise

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Set xmp. Raise the dram voltage to 1.38v manually. Set vccio/vccsa to 1.2v each. That gives the dram extra voltage to deal with the increased speeds, gives the memory controller an extra bit of voltage to deal with the increased speeds and gives the transmission between the ram and memory controller an extra bit of voltage to deal with the increased speeds.

The way they behave, not working together but working seperately almost makes me think they were individual sticks, not a matched kit bought 2x sticks in the same package.

Status
Not open for further replies.