Question Red Light for CPU & RAM on new build ?

Dec 18, 2022
Brand new build.
Motherboard Asrock B660 Pro RS Atx
CPU: i5-12400F
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8 DDR4 F4-3200C16D-16GVKB, CL16-18-18-38 1.35v
Power: Coolermaster 500W

I've installed and double checked CPU mounting and RAM reseated. Turn on and the CPU fan runs, the case fan turns on and then off, same with the HDD. Using the correct RAM slots A2 and B2. I've built several machines over the years, I've never had an issue with a new cpu? Trying to get this together for my daughter for Xmas.

I'm at a loss as to what to check, since I'm not getting to boot. Thanks, Quentin

Last edited:
You will need a GPU to run this rig. The CPU doen´t have an integrated graphics units and therefore the video outputs like DP or HDMI from the motherboard are not usable.

Is it the
B660M Pro RS/ax
motherboard?

If a GPU is connected, upload some pictures of the connections and the build itself, maybe we see something. (upload to imgur or similar and post the link)

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2022
Hi - it's not a B660M Pro RS/ax, the docs and the box say only B660 Pro RS/ax. I've removed the board from the case to test it isn't a short, and same result. Yes, I know - I should have mentioned I'm using a good, but older Radeon R5 220 for GPU until the new one arrives. I've stripped all connections except the CPU fan, power and power switch from the mobo, to further simplify the setup. In case it wasn't clear, I'm not even getting to bios.

View: https://imgur.com/a/x3RTxkf

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2022
You will notice something missing right away. I did. And I thought it would fix the issue, since it's a pretty big omission on my part for rushing. See it?

I forgot to plug in the ATX12V1 power on the board, only had the 24 pin connector for power plugged in. However, after plugging in that power, I still get the exact same result. So still hoping for suggestions? Thanks