Red little squares on screen.

Apr 14, 2018
I just got a new graphics card for my PC and it is a Radeon RX-580 ARMOR 8G OC. I had it for at least a month now. Every so often little blue or red squares show up on my screen. Then my screen goes black for 3 seconds and it goes back to normal. It doesn't just happen when I'm gaming. Even when I'm browsing the internet or watching videos this happens. I have a feeling the graphics card I bought is a little broken. It is definitely not my monitor. When I play on my Xbox through my monitor this does not happen. I am really hoping for an answer to my question. I don't want to buy a new graphics card. Thank you.

Solution

Excess temperature of the graphics card would result in errors or throttling. If the power supply was insufficient, the graphics card would have no video output.
I would first try updating the graphics drivers on your Radeon RX-580 ARMOR 8G OC. If that doesn't fix the issue, I would return the graphics card. Note that depending upon where you purchased it, you only have about 30 days to return it. So, you may have to use Warranty repair on the card.

Loose connections or bad monitor cables can also cause some distortions on the display. So I would try securing the connections and switching out the monitor cable.

If it does turn out to be monitor related, resetting the monitor can often help. Simply unplug the monitor power cord and monitor cable for 30 seconds or so. Also your Xbox may not be using the same type of monitor cable or port, so the monitor isn't necessarily ruled out.

Excess temperature of the graphics card would result in errors or throttling. If the power supply was insufficient, the graphics card would have no video output.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No. Gpus only use what's necessary. You could power a gtx1080ti on a 150w psu all day, if all you used it for was websurfing. The issues arise when the gpu demands more power than the psu can supply. A gpu might be rated at 225w, but that only means that's what it needs for full power usage, not all time power usage.

You'll get issues from cheap power supplies that put out far less than what the sticker says, such as 400 actual watts from a 700w psu. You'll get issues from cheap power supplies that put out dirty power that's far out of spec. You'll get issues from cheap power supplies if the specifications are out of whack, such as 10a on 2x 12v rails on a 700w psu.

Almost all graphics cards have only 1 temp sensor. On the gpu itself. That is not the only section covered by a heatsink. The other half of the card contains the vram, VRM's and other voltage regulatory circuitry. They have 0 temp sensors, yet exceed the temps of the gpu regularly. If, for some reason, the vram over heats, you'll get artifacts. Such as op described. This could be due to lousy or incorrectly fitted thermal tape, fan not working above that area, bad componentry etc.

I suppose if the power output was just right that the graphics card was on the verge of shutting down then maybe it could cause this. But that is unlikely, plus there would be a history of it shutting down as demand increased.

Since the graphics card has the highest power requirements (within the PC) it will be the first to shut down in the event of insufficient power.

Apr 14, 2018

All drivers are up to date. But thanks! :pt1cable:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'd return the card before the return warranty runs out, or RMA it if that's past. It could be the cable used, that'd be the fastest option to check, use of a different port even, but if that fails its more than likely the vram/VRM's being an overheat issue.

Jul 19, 2018
https://ibb.co/maDngy

Is this how it looks like on your machine?
And did you find a solution?
I'm having issues with my Asus dual rx580 O8C
It happens on Windows sometimes as well as in Ubuntu, but there much more frequently as well as this freezes the entire computer when it happens in Ubuntu. Spotify keeps running though xD

Dec 29, 2018

TRENDING THREADS