[SOLVED] Red logo "N" on boot

Oct 11, 2021
Hello,

When starting windows 10 on my laptop, a red logo "N" appears and disappears immediately.

I tried to find out what it was : registry, autoruns, malware scan , etc.

Does anyone have an idea please ?

Image link that shows the logo

Thank you in advance (y)

Solution
clean boot likely easiest way. Just take time since its not every boot. Will have to wait I guess unless you lucky and its first application you re enable.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, welcome to the forums.

What laptop do you have? List the Brand and Model number.

If you've already looked through autoruns, the next best thing that I can think of is trying a Clean Boot. A clean boot is where you boot Windows up using only Microsoft software. You first disable all 3rd party software except drivers. Warning: Be sure to check the box that says Hide all Microsoft services while in the System Configuration utility (msconfig.exe) so that you do not disable any of them. Full instructions can be found here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows-da2f9573-6eec-00ad-2f8a-a97a1807f3dd

If the issue is gone while doing the clean boot, then it was one of the programs or services that you disabled that was causing the "N" to show up. Re-enable the programs/services a few at a time until you can narrow it down and find the culprit. When done, re-enable everything except the program/service causing the issue.

Oct 11, 2021
Hi, welcome to the forums.

What laptop do you have? List the Brand and Model number.

If you've already looked through autoruns, the next best thing that I can think of is trying a Clean Boot. A clean boot is where you boot Windows up using only Microsoft software. You first disable all 3rd party software except drivers. Warning: Be sure to check the box that says Hide all Microsoft services while in the System Configuration utility (msconfig.exe) so that you do not disable any of them. Full instructions can be found here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows-da2f9573-6eec-00ad-2f8a-a97a1807f3dd

If the issue is gone while doing the clean boot, then it was one of the programs or services that you disabled that was causing the "N" to show up. Re-enable the programs/services a few at a time until you can narrow it down and find the culprit. When done, re-enable everything except the program/service causing the issue.
Hi ,

I thank you for your answer, unfortunately I forgot to specify that this logo does not appear at each start.

I think it runs on every boot but the logo display is very fast. So difficult to debug.

My laptop is an Asus UX534ftc.306

gardenman

Splendid
The letter could be "N" for Numlock. Try disabling any keyboard applications that startup with the PC. At first I thought it was a Netflix logo but that's usually a red N on a white or black background.

I looked up your laptop with the letter N and couldn't find anything else.

I still recommend doing the clean boot. Experiment with it for a few days or a week. Maybe over a few week, re-enable the programs until you start seeing it again (assuming that it disappears after you start the clean boot).