[SOLVED] Red or Green?

zze86

Prominent
Oct 21, 2020
I guess this kind of rhetorical at the moment since you can't really find any of these cards but what's the consensus on red vs green at the moment?

Specifically, I'm looking at RX5700 vs RTX20XX (Or should I be looking at something else? I don't need the latest card but if the 6700/30xx series offers similar performance for similar pricing...).

AMD's offerings seems to have been kneecapped by poor driver support early on. Is this still the case?

Solution
The RX5000 AMD GPU driver issues at launch have long since been resolved.

I prefer AMD from the included software side of things. They also end up being slightly cheaper for the same performance compared to Nvidia.

Nvidia 20xx and 30xx series have Ray Tracing (as does AMD RX6000 GPUs). Although ray tracing is still limited to a small number of games, and imparts a large performance hit, that's something you'll have to decide if you want to pay for or not.
The RX5000 AMD GPU driver issues at launch have long since been resolved.

I prefer AMD from the included software side of things. They also end up being slightly cheaper for the same performance compared to Nvidia.

Nvidia 20xx and 30xx series have Ray Tracing (as does AMD RX6000 GPUs). Although ray tracing is still limited to a small number of games, and imparts a large performance hit, that's something you'll have to decide if you want to pay for or not.

Solution
If you have a microcenter near you, I would check their local stock. I went to mine this morning because they listed 2 msi ventus 3090s and, I was like "well I guess i'll go check it out, see if anyone is lined up already"
I get there, and there's like 25 people in line. Go inside, they have enough 3080s and 3090s for the whole line as I was at the back. Left with a 3080 asus tuf OC.
Brick and mortar seems to be the way to go. Was annoyed that they don't list stock online, so it's good I took the chance!

Reactions: spentshells
If you have a microcenter near you, I would check their local stock. I went to mine this morning because they listed 2 msi ventus 3090s and, I was like "well I guess i'll go check it out, see if anyone is lined up already"
I get there, and there's like 25 people in line. Go inside, they have enough 3080s and 3090s for the whole line as I was at the back. Left with a 3080 asus tuf OC.
Brick and mortar seems to be the way to go. Was annoyed that they don't list stock online, so it's good I took the chance!

They didn't list online because they want actua; people to get them, kinda a nice thing for microcenter to do. It also gets you in the door to possibly buy more. Online does not promote that.

They didn't list online because they want actua; people to get them, kinda a nice thing for microcenter to do. It also gets you in the door to possibly buy more. Online does not promote that.
Yeah it's just, microcenter is an hour drive away from where I live. Where I work it's a 15 minute drive! So it just lined up that I could dip out of work for an hour to check it out. Maybe I'll get a friend that works there so I get some of those insider tips haha

Reactions: spentshells
At the moment, AMD doesn't offer a 6000-series card below a $580 MSRP, whereas Nvidia has the $400 3060 Ti, so around that $400 price range that card would definitely make more sense for at least the time being, if you can actually manage to find one. The 3060 Ti tends to be around 40% faster than a 2060 SUPER, or around 30% faster than an RX 5700 XT in most games, so those prior-generation cards wouldn't make much sense unless their prices were reduced to around $300 new. And that goes for the other prior-gen cards as well, seeing as a 3060 Ti tends to be slightly faster than a 2080 SUPER, and a 3070 roughly comparable to a 2080 Ti (though with less VRAM).

Reactions: tennis2