[SOLVED] Red VGA light on after new cpu installation

Feb 3, 2022
Parts:
Mobo: gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
Ram: XPG Spectrix D60G
PSU: Corsair TX 750M
GPU Zotac 1060 6gb

After finishing my build I tried to boot it up and got a " No Video Input" message. I found out that I needed to update the BIOS but after doing so it gave me the same message. Any help is appreciated.

Solution
How did you update the BIOS exactly? Did you have a previous generation cpu? I believe you need BIOS version F40 to run the 3600. Did you follow the instructions where it says,
''1. If you are using Q-Flash Utility to update BIOS, make sure you have updated BIOS to F32 before F40
2. Before update BIOS to F40, you have to install EC FW Update Tool (B19.0517.1 or later version) to avoid 4DIMM DDR incompatibility on 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ CPU.''
How did you update the BIOS exactly? Did you have a previous generation cpu? I believe you need BIOS version F40 to run the 3600. Did you follow the instructions where it says,
''1. If you are using Q-Flash Utility to update BIOS, make sure you have updated BIOS to F32 before F40
2. Before update BIOS to F40, you have to install EC FW Update Tool (B19.0517.1 or later version) to avoid 4DIMM DDR incompatibility on 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ CPU.''

Solution
Feb 3, 2022
yes, I used an AMD Athlon 200GE to update it and I actually didn't install the updates properly. I just went to F63d. I also think it is worth mentioning that there is a little red light on my mobo that says VGA under it

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Revert the bios, then upgrade in sequence. That's important.

Your bios has a code 'ABC' for instance. F32 has instructions and data to change ABC to XYZ. Later revisions have instructions and data to change XYZ to 123. What they don't have is instructions and data to change ABC to 123. So when you bypass previous required updates, your new bios still has ABC and doesn't have 123 because there was no instructions to make the change. You'll see you have a new bios revision, but it contains a bunch of original bios code that never got updated or fixed.

Bios chips are only 'so' big and contain a lot of data, that's relevant to your cpu and others in that generation. They can't hold all the data and all the instructions for all the gens and updates, so it ends up with only updating from the last revision, not ancient revisions.

The original series of bios chips were even worse, being half the size of current chips, the motherboard vendors opting to go for cheaper chips and not fully realizing the extent of AMD's upgrade across the platform.

Feb 3, 2022
Revert the bios, then upgrade in sequence. That's important.

Your bios has a code 'ABC' for instance. F32 has instructions and data to change ABC to XYZ. Later revisions have instructions and data to change XYZ to 123. What they don't have is instructions and data to change ABC to 123. So when you bypass previous required updates, your new bios still has ABC and doesn't have 123 because there was no instructions to make the change. You'll see you have a new bios revision, but it contains a bunch of original bios code that never got updated or fixed.

Bios chips are only 'so' big and contain a lot of data, that's relevant to your cpu and others in that generation. They can't hold all the data and all the instructions for all the gens and updates, so it ends up with only updating from the last revision, not ancient revisions.

The original series of bios chips were even worse, being half the size of current chips, the motherboard vendors opting to go for cheaper chips and not fully realizing the extent of AMD's upgrade across the platform.
Thanks for your response. I've updated my BIOS in the correct sequence but I'm still getting no video input and there is still a red light on my mobo that says VGA, so I think it might be a GPU problem. I have also re-seated all my parts ad cables several times.

tecmo34

Administrator
Here is a good troubleshooting thread for these type of issues to go through the basics.

Feb 3, 2022
Good new. For some reason the cable going from my PSU to my GPU was faulty, so I put in the replacement cable that came with it and it booted up properly. Thank you all for your help :D.

TRENDING THREADS