Redirecting folders from sdd to hdd

Sep 24, 2018
Hi guys

My new laptop will be arriving soon with a 128GB SSD and 1 TB HDD. I would like only windows 10 to be installed on the SSD(with maybe one game on,which i can sort through steam) with all other folders like documents, download and program x86 files on the hdd. I understand that some files will inevitably need to be written to the SSD but I would like throw as much as I possibly can on the HDD.

Laptop is a new Acer Nitro 5 coming pre installed with windows 10 ( will also delete bloatware that it comes with).

Solution

You do NOT need a special folder named Program Files or whatever.
You can install applications to ANY drive or folder. I would generally use a folder on the other drive called MyProgs, and use that as a top level folder to install things to.
You can, of course, call it whatever you choose.

But you have to install the application to that location as it is installing. You can't move it later.

For Steam games, those can be...

USAFRet

Titan

You do NOT need a special folder named Program Files or whatever.
You can install applications to ANY drive or folder. I would generally use a folder on the other drive called MyProgs, and use that as a top level folder to install things to.
You can, of course, call it whatever you choose.

But you have to install the application to that location as it is installing. You can't move it later.

For Steam games, those can be installed on the other drive as well.
Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

Solution
Sep 24, 2018

Right so libraries like download documents etc i just use your guide to move it but for applications i just redirect to hdd in installation wizard?

USAFRet

Titan

Whenever you install something, don't just accept the defaults and click click click.
When it asks, select Custom or Advanced, and you tell it where to install to.

In reality though...most applications don't take up that much space. You want most of them on your SSD.