[SOLVED] Redo - 2nd PC 2K 144hz build

LAF_OUT_LOUD

Prominent
Mar 22, 2019
This is a build I put together w/ the help of people on Tom's Hardware at the end of last year.

It is primarily a Gaming Build, but I do the occasional Photoshop drawing and video editing on it.

I want to see if there is any possible fat to trim the fat to get closer to the $1,000 range, w/o sacrificing quality.

I have put some things onto it just to create a colorful build that I know I don't need.

What could I change to lower the final price, but still achieve a stable 2k 144hz?

Here is the old build, any advice is appreciated:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6
COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240R RGB
MOBO: Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER ATX
RAM: GeIL SUPER LUCE RGB SYNC 16 GB (2 x 8 GB)
HDD: Hitachi Ultrastar 4 TB 3.5
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 2 TB
GPU: MSI GTX 2080
CASE: Lian-Li PC-O11
PSU: Corsair RM 650 W 80+ Gold

Solution
There's quite a few things you could trim... the problem is whether you're actually willing to make the changes.
1)Cpu cooler: Air coolers are hands down more affordable. Unfortunately your current choice for the chassis limits your air cooler options anyway - but there is still the be quiet! Dark Rock TF.
With a different case of greater cpu cooler clearance, your air cooler options will expand.

2)Mobo: the selected board is expensive, no doubt.
-Msi B450 Tomahawk MAX
-Asus Prime X570-P
-Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, with or without WiFi

3)SSD: Samsung and their price premiums... some one's being bent over, and it's not them...
-Crucial MX500 or P2
-Intel 665P or 660P

4)Gpu: RTX 2080 is no longer in production. It's prices are inflated...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
There's quite a few things you could trim... the problem is whether you're actually willing to make the changes.
1)Cpu cooler: Air coolers are hands down more affordable. Unfortunately your current choice for the chassis limits your air cooler options anyway - but there is still the be quiet! Dark Rock TF.
With a different case of greater cpu cooler clearance, your air cooler options will expand.

-Msi B450 Tomahawk MAX
-Asus Prime X570-P

3)SSD: Samsung and their price premiums... some one's being bent over, and it's not them...
-Crucial MX500 or P2
-Intel 665P or 660P

4)Gpu: RTX 2080 is no longer in production. It's prices are inflated as a result. It was superseded by the RTX 2070 Super.
The AMD alternative is the RX 5700XT. The potential for driver-related headaches make them a tough sell though.

5)Case: That case doesn't come supplied with ANY fans. NONE AT ALL. That's even more out of your pocket.

Reactions: GarrettL
Solution

LAF_OUT_LOUD

Prominent
Mar 22, 2019

-Msi B450 Tomahawk MAX
-Asus Prime X570-P

-Crucial MX500 or P2
-Intel 665P or 660P

4)Gpu: RTX 2080 is no longer in production. It's prices are inflated as a result. It was superseded by the RTX 2070 Super.
The AMD alternative is the RX 5700XT. The potential for driver-related headaches make them a tough sell though.

5)Case: That case doesn't come supplied with ANY fans. NONE AT ALL. That's even more out of your pocket.
Thank you for the advice, I will absolutely look into changing a few things. I think I had been warned about the Lian-Li not coming w/ any fans, but I must have forgotten. Much appreciated.

Reactions: Phaaze88