Question Redragon power supply?

Jeff_120

Honorable
Dec 11, 2016
I am searching for a good psu of 600-650w having a futur rtx2080 in mind, unfortunately all psu sold in my country are not good (aerocool, entry level cougar and TT...). Today one of the shop sent me a photo of a Redragon PSU fully modular 80+ bronze. I searched on Google and couldn't find it neither on redragon website!
Any idea if they are good?

Given you cannot find them, I would say no. There is a possibility that they are OK just very very small in terms of distribution, but it's not worth the risk that it's really just a poor doorstop.

Don't get excited about 80+ it's only an efficiency rating, nothing to do with quality.

If you are thinking about splashing out a lot on a 2080, then you need to source a good PSU. it'll cost less than a replacement 2080 and a new PSU.

Mar 31, 2020
I do not recommend the seasonic focus, if the focus plus ... the focus (no plus) have problems in the gpu rail, from 450w to 850w, seasonic had to go out to remove these sources from the market, as a consequence the focus plus

Mar 31, 2020
It's fine, older Focus SKUs really had problems only with AMD Vegas, it's fine for RTX2080.

Not only amd vega suffered problems also the rx 480/580, gtx 970/980 also suffered, it was due to a problem in the 12v rail of the cables, then it was solved ...
oh and going back to the question before, with a focus platinum you should not have problems because the problem occurred in the focus plus gold

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Everything has a frequency. Even color is nothing more than a specific frequency. DC voltage by definition is a straight line voltage, but in the conversion from ac to DC volts, even the best psus cannot get that line perfect, so the outputs of the psu to gpu still have a small amount of ripple. Unfortunately for the Focus, that ripple frequency just happens to be the exact frequency that some gtx970 cards do not like, at all.

Consequently, Seasonic fixed that by changing the in-line caps in the pcie wires.

The vega issue was seperate. Seasonic is one of those brands that will actually set things like OCP in realistic values. Unfortunately the vega56 alone could have spikes of 600w+ lasting upto 10ms, which was tripping OCP like a bandit. That was addressed in the 650/750/850w Focus Plus Gold built after Jan of 2018.

As is, the Focus/Focus Plus is EoL, replaced by the Core series, which has no inline caps, they've been moved back inside the unit and include all prior bug fixes or addressed issues to the focus series.

Reactions: Pickachu

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Redragon brand is owned by Eastern Times Technology group, been around since the mid 90's making keyboards and mice and other peripherals, mostly in in the Indo-Asiatic markets. They did branch out into psus, but that's not their main focus like with companies such as Seasonic or SuperFlower, so R&D kinda is limited and you can expect a psu that's limited in quality and ability with more focus on sales volume than an actual worthy product.

When competing against giants such as Corsair or Thermaltake in that market, you have 2 options. Flood the market as you can with cheap stuff, or build a superior product that unfortunately costs a fortune to build. Not having the production capacity of FSP, Seasonic, SuperFlower, you generally end up with the first option.

Funny how the Redragon symbol is remarkably similar to the one MSI has been using for years, and the name Redragon is remarkably similar to Powercolor Red Dragon (which tried and failed at psu production 10 years ago).

Without some serious effort to get a psu reviewed by professional reviewers and get the units 'vouched' as decent or better, where platforms and outputs are documented, generally assume it couldn't pass inspection in the first place.

If ETT was serious about making a name and a quality product, people would be asking For them, not asking About them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pickachu

Latest posts