[SOLVED] Reduce heat for mining with 3080

Status
Not open for further replies.

jinkazuya

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Recently I have built a rig for mining for my friend. The GPU he has is Zotac 3080 trinity. However, the heat generated is so high esp the Junction temp of the Vram. I did not do anything or overclock the Vram, just let it mine for 15 mins, the junction temp went from 39c up to 110c. I tried using MSI burner to try to adjust the power and temp limit, but it did not really solve the problem. However, one question that I have is I tried manually adjusting or setting the fan to 70 to 80 percents. If I do not mine, then the fan will run constantly almost but when I mined with phoenixminer, then the fan stopped spinning. In addition, even if I tried to adjust the fan to 70% but when it runs it just adjusted itself to 35 to 50 percent and if I let it run auto, then sometimes it never runs. I am just wondering if this is normal? Is there anyway that I could adjust the fan to run 70% CONSTANTLY when mining?

I mean 110c is no no for mining even I did not do anything or overclock the vram.

Solution
Ideally, the Vram should be kept under 95C when mining if you want the card to last. 'Apparently', only one 3080 model was engineered - overengineered(?) - well enough out of the box that it can handle mining: EVGA's FTW3.
All the other models out there seem to either throttle, or run over 95C when trying to mine on 'em. They game just fine though.
Probably need to DIY a heatsink(s) and fan(s) to the back of the card to keep the Vram cool.

Yeah, power limits won't do anything here, the GDDR6X memory already makes up a small part of the gpu's total board power, like 60w(+/-) out of 336w.
The reason for lowering core clock and power limit is to get Gpu Boost to back off, because it wastes power trying to boost core clock, when you want...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ideally, the Vram should be kept under 95C when mining if you want the card to last. 'Apparently', only one 3080 model was engineered - overengineered(?) - well enough out of the box that it can handle mining: EVGA's FTW3.
All the other models out there seem to either throttle, or run over 95C when trying to mine on 'em. They game just fine though.
Probably need to DIY a heatsink(s) and fan(s) to the back of the card to keep the Vram cool.

Yeah, power limits won't do anything here, the GDDR6X memory already makes up a small part of the gpu's total board power, like 60w(+/-) out of 336w.
The reason for lowering core clock and power limit is to get Gpu Boost to back off, because it wastes power trying to boost core clock, when you want to maximize memory for mining.

EDIT: This card has it's own fan software. Perhaps that's related to the funky behavior?
https://www.zotac.com/product/graphics_card/zotac-gaming-geforce-rtx-3080-trinity
"Active Fan Control lets user have more control over the fans when using the Zotac Gaming FireStorm software. Adjust fan rotations independently and apply increased airflow only to where and when it's needed."
Try Firestorm and see if it lets you control the fans how you want.

Reactions: Bassman999
Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That video doesn't show that much.
-He doesn't say what the card is set up in. Is it open bench? Inside a PC? What is his fan set up if it's in a PC?
-Gpu 2 readout is the memory? IDK, it's suspiciously the same temp as GPU 1(likely the core) in the video, and I see 2 posts below saying they're hitting 90C+ with this card, according to hwinfo...
So unless Zotac snuck an updated model of the Trinity into the market, the hwinfo result is more trustworthy.

Afterburner fan control shouldn't be hard to run. I suspect it has to do with how the software communicates with the fans.
-Firestorm can control all three fans individually. Afterburner probably isn't that sophisticated(?).
-Phoenixminer is screwing with the fan control(unlikely).

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021

The reason for lowering core clock and power limit is to get Gpu Boost to back off, because it wastes power trying to boost core clock, when you want to maximize memory for mining.

EDIT: This card has it's own fan software. Perhaps that's related to the funky behavior?
https://www.zotac.com/product/graphics_card/zotac-gaming-geforce-rtx-3080-trinity
"Active Fan Control lets user have more control over the fans when using the Zotac Gaming FireStorm software. Adjust fan rotations independently and apply increased airflow only to where and when it's needed."
Try Firestorm and see if it lets you control the fans how you want.
I have an ASUS 3080 from an IBuypower Prebuilt that without TP surgery runs between 80c and 88c mem junction depending on ambient. 82c s at 70F room temp.
The Gigabyte runs 106-110 in the same environment before TP upgrade.

Both cards with Afterburner seem to want to disregard fan setting till you fiddle with it for a while.
I found on Nicehash set to manual and then fan speed in Afterburner stays put better.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ok, if the TUF is good, there's no way the Strix isn't - that would be crazy... oh wait, they did slip up before on their Radeon cards.
I'll have to make a mental note of it.
3080s and 3090s that can mine with 'reasonable' Vram thermals or better:
FTW3
TUF
Strix
I'm sure the list of viable 3080 models is higher, but that's what I remember, or have taken note of.

FTW3
Kingpin
Hall of Fame
The listing here isn't going to be much longer than this, if at all...

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
Ok, if the TUF is good, there's no way the Strix isn't - that would be crazy... oh wait, they did slip up before on their Radeon cards.
I'll have to make a mental note of it.
3080s and 3090s that can mine with 'reasonable' Vram thermals or better:
FTW3
TUF
Strix
I'm sure the list of viable 3080 models is higher, but that's what I remember, or have taken note of.

FTW3
Kingpin
Hall of Fame
The listing here isn't going to be much longer than this, if at all...
Yeah I would hope that the strix is as good or better than the TUF!

With prebuilts you dont usually know what card you are going to get. I am glad I got the Asus,
The fans at 100% are quieter than the Gigabyte at 75%
Fan housing is metal not plastic which I think is kinda cool also.
Plus I think the Gigabyte Gaming OC I have just looks ugly in general

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
@Bassman999
The boutiques give you a bit more freedom with the gpu. Dell, HP, IBUYPOWER... good luck with that one.

Yeah, plastic has this habit of inhibiting heat removal, like a certain other popular material...

Sounds like Gigabyte dropped the ball a bit. I have a pretty high opinion of their Gaming OC from Pascal generation.

jinkazuya

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
How do you manually set fan by using afterburner? I would like to learn. @Bassman999 would you please tell me how? It seems that unless I set the curve of the fan, otherwise it seems afterburner ignore my setting. I set it to automatic but that only applies to the overall temp of the GPU, not the Vram. Is there a way to set the fan that when the junction temp of the Vram reaches certain temp threshold, that the speed of the fan would kick in?

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
@Bassman999
The boutiques give you a bit more freedom with the gpu. Dell, HP, IBUYPOWER... good luck with that one.

Yeah, plastic has this habit of inhibiting heat removal, like a certain other popular material...

Sounds like Gigabyte dropped the ball a bit. I have a pretty high opinion of their Gaming OC from Pascal generation.
Yeah I expected more from G-Byte as well.
Gaming at 1080P Im into the low 80s already on the Mem jnct, while the core temp ismid 50s to 60c
Its the Eagle shape I guess that makes it not look good to me.
I am weird with things looking symmetrical I guess.

The Asus hasnt broken 70C mem temp gaming yet

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
How do you manually set fan by using afterburner? I would like to learn. @Bassman999 would you please tell me how? It seems that unless I set the curve of the fan, otherwise it seems afterburner ignore my setting. I set it to automatic but that only applies to the overall temp of the GPU, not the Vram. Is there a way to set the fan that when the junction temp of the Vram reaches certain temp threshold, that the speed of the fan would kick in?
I set the curve, and I also set it with the A under the fan slider.
Every adjustment I make I move that slider down a little then up again and save.
If theres a better way I dont know it lol.

As far as temp setting for VRam I dont think there's a way.
Maybe MSI will make a new version with Vram in mind soon.

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
Wow that must be extremely loud and noisy. Won't it damage the fan if the fans run full blast?
The Gigabyte fans are loud, but the Asus ones arent loud in comparison.
If the fans wear out the are cheap to replace
Id rather kill fans over the Memory 😁

I have my PC sitting about 8 ft away from me.
I have 3 computers running, so I am used to the sound now I guess.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Won't it damage the fan if the fans run full blast?
Not quite.
It's actually EASIER on the fan motor when it's running at a static speed Vs dynamically changing all the time.
Manufacturers design them around 100% speed anyway.
Also, your ears will adjust to a high rpm fan curve more easily than one that sharply revvs up and down - you may never get used to the latter, actually.
Plus, as Bassman999 pointed out, fans are cheap to replace.

Status
Not open for further replies.