[SOLVED] Reduce under-desk ambient temps when CPU heats up?

Rick Scolaro

Honorable
Dec 1, 2014
I have a desk with 2 PC enclosures. They fit nicely in there, but I feel like airflow is a problem.

hcAtfuf.jpg

My RTX 2080 Ti and Core i7-8700K seem to heat up past 80C during gaming sessions at Ultra 4K settings.

I’m using an Evo Hyper-212 to cool my CPU, but I'm considering an upgrade to a liquid cooler.

Thermaltake Floe Triple Riing RGB 360
https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Premium-Efficiency-Radiator-CL-W158-PL12SW/dp/B07537Q8LV

I was also considering a small AC unit under the desk that pipes the hot air away, but I just don't have the clearance for the exhaust. This solution seems ridiculous.

My CPU keeps a much lower temp when it sits outside of the enclosure, but I want to use the very nice desk I bought where they fit just perfectly.

Behind the computer is a small space that is open to some airflow. This is a photo of just above the case and inside the enclosure.
MFTLyLG.jpg

Can someone suggest a cooling solution that doesn't involve removing my PCs from their comfy enclosures?

Solution
Another update:
I've relocated the PC to outside of the under desk space and I've got better temps but my GPU max temp is still 82C.
etQYO6D.jpg

Any other ideas to cool the PC more?

The stock case fans might not be the greatest (the 3 at the front and 1 at the rear).

Anybody know if better fans might lower my temps?

Switch the top fans around. Pull the heated air out the case.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
80c with that cooler is about right. You could probably undervolt the cpu to lower temps or just get a bit better cooler. Those were the value kings before Intel started ocing their processors out of the box when 10nm got delayed then added cores. There are a lot cheaper options than that aio that will work if you don't plan to chase 5ghz. If you do you'll need a pretty good one.

First thing I'd try is just undervolting the cpu

Rick Scolaro

Honorable
Dec 1, 2014

I've updated my post with the image you requested.

Rick Scolaro

Honorable
Dec 1, 2014

I have my CPU overclocked from 3.7GHZ to 4.5GHZ. I've now just set it back to default, but I'm open to suggestions for a 360mm liquid cooler.

To me that looks like the hole that case is in has no ability for the air to leave the hole except via the front, hence there is no flow of air (well a chocked flow of air). Some big holes aligned roughly to fan locations in the wood at the back will help, or just a 4inch section removed at the top.

Rick Scolaro

Honorable
Dec 1, 2014

The back is open. The air intake is through the front and exits the back of the "hole".

UPDATE: I've just installed a Kraken X72 liquid cooler and my CPU temps are great at max 64C at high load.

My GPU, however, still gets up to 87C. I have a Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti WINDFORCE 11G

Rick Scolaro

Honorable
Dec 1, 2014
Another update:
I've relocated the PC to outside of the under desk space and I've got better temps but my GPU max temp is still 82C.
etQYO6D.jpg

The stock case fans might not be the greatest (the 3 at the front and 1 at the rear).

Rick Scolaro

Honorable
Dec 1, 2014
To me that looks like the hole that case is in has no ability for the air to leave the hole except via the front, hence there is no flow of air (well a chocked flow of air). Some big holes aligned roughly to fan locations in the wood at the back will help, or just a 4inch section removed at the top.

See my post update with the case location changed.

Another update:
etQYO6D.jpg

Switch the top fans around. Pull the heated air out the case.

Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Heat rises so you want intake fans lowest possible where air is coldest. In a desk enclosure heat rises in all directions if top fans were configured to exhaust so the top front intake fan can re-intake warm air.

Dilemma is the top fans configured as intake upsets air flow so there's a battle going on with the front fans trying to change air direction and heat would be pushed down toward your gpu making it difficult for air to change direction.

Try switch the front top intake fan off / cover it and have the top fans exhaust. Two front fans intake coldest air which then pushes hot air up as heat rises and out the rear & top.

Put your hand near the lowest front fan / close to the floor and feel the difference in air temp, that's what you want going in.