[SOLVED] Reduce Vram Shared Memory

gilang0821

Commendable
Mar 22, 2019
My new laptop HP 14-DK1515AU has Ryzen 3250U and 8GB of ram but 3GB is used as Vram shared memory, how I changed that because the VGA already have 2GB dedicated memory and I didn't plant using this laptop for gaming even If I do I believe 2GB more than sufficient because the VRAM cant run max setting in triple-A games anyway.

I already entered bios the only thing I can change is bootable drive.

Solution
1.png

So what is dedicated GPU memory then?
2.png

It clearly states that my Graphic Has 2048 MB memory

That's not really what it means. Windows is concerned, in this context, with how the system RAM is being used. It's a bit like driving around your friends and one of them calls the front passenger seat before the others do; they don't actually own part of your car, nor did they bring it.

Vega's basically called "dibs" on 2 GB of RAM. But it can also claim even more, when the need arises.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-vega-8.c3042

Microsoft and AMD haven't always done a great job making these things clear; they prefer to make...

DSzymborski

Titan
My new laptop HP 14-DK1515AU has Ryzen 3250U and 8GB of ram but 3GB is used as Vram shared memory, how I changed that because the VGA already have 2GB dedicated memory and I didn't plant using this laptop for gaming even If I do I believe 2GB more than sufficient because the VRAM cant run max setting in triple-A games anyway.

I already entered bios the only thing I can change is bootable drive.

A little confused by the post; unless you have a different laptop with a dedicated GPU, you don't have 2 GB of dedicated memory with Radeon Vega 3 graphics.

DSzymborski

Titan
1.png

So what is dedicated GPU memory then?
2.png

It clearly states that my Graphic Has 2048 MB memory

That's not really what it means. Windows is concerned, in this context, with how the system RAM is being used. It's a bit like driving around your friends and one of them calls the front passenger seat before the others do; they don't actually own part of your car, nor did they bring it.

Vega's basically called "dibs" on 2 GB of RAM. But it can also claim even more, when the need arises.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-vega-8.c3042

Microsoft and AMD haven't always done a great job making these things clear; they prefer to make their integrated GPUs look as powerful as possible to the public.

But it's definitely shared system RAM. This is why integrated Radeon graphics get such a benefit from quality system RAM. VRAM is much faster than using shared memory, so any extra speed there can be used.

Solution