Reduced RAM-size from 32 to 16 gigs, and now my pc will no longer OC

Nov 10, 2018
Hello :)

As I felt 32 gigs of DDR4 would be a slight overkill for my gaming-oriented pc, I recently sold off two of the original four 8 gig sticks. In short I went from 4x8 to 2x8 Corsair Platinum DDR4 3000 mhz.

Other specs (if relevant):
Gigabyte Aorus Ultra gaming v1 mobo
Intel core I5-8600K
1070ti Asus Rog Strix advanced
550W 80+ gold psu

Before the RAM reduction my pc was running stable at 4.8Ghz overclocked (1.275V) with XMP enabled at full speed. Now, however, running dual channel with the two sticks, the pc fails to post even with modest overclocks. After saving and rebooting from bios, the pc will simply power on, enter something resembling an idle fase, then promptly power off before rebooting to bios aksking to re-establish optimalized defaults.

At this point I have tried:
Clearing CMOS
Resocketing ram sticks
Updating bios

Any further ideas? All insight will be greatly appreciated :)

Solution
Have you tried booting with one stick of ram installed? Do you have your sticks installed in the proper slots for dual channel? On many motherboards this will be the furthest slot from the CPU socket and the second slot from the socket.

huntlong

Respectable
Aug 17, 2017
Have you tried booting with one stick of ram installed? Do you have your sticks installed in the proper slots for dual channel? On many motherboards this will be the furthest slot from the CPU socket and the second slot from the socket.

Solution
Nov 10, 2018
Hello again! Thanks to your advice I was finally able to make it work. The trick was, as you mentioned, booting with the single stick of ram first. Then, whilst in the bios, I was able to sucessfully oc to my previous spec. I could then add the secound stick with the same results. Thanks a bunch!! :)