[SOLVED] Reduced SSD performance caused by a damaged PSU SATA cable?

Jaga848

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2014
Okay, so a few days ago I bought a new SSD. In order to be sure that I've properly connected the power supply SATA power cable and the motherboard SATA cable to the SSD, I connected them before inserting the SSD into the case. While I was inserting the SSD into the case, the power supply SATA power cable got bent (especially the wires connected to the plastic part of the PSU cable that goes into the actual SSD) about 90°, maybe even a bit more.

The SSD was fresh, the PC booted normally and I installed Windows on it. Everything seems to be working fine, except for the Crystaldiskmark results which seem to be varying (for example, I test two times and I get two completely normal speeds, but after that, for the third test, the speed is slower than what it should be), and I especially mean the 4KiBQ8T8 result, which seems to be varying from 270 to below 200.

My question is, could these varying Crystaldiskmark results be caused by a damaged power supply SATA cable/connector, or would the SSD simply not work if the power cable was damaged?

Thank you in advance!

Solution
What is full system spec including PSU make and model? What is this SSD make and model?

If SATA power cable/connector is badly damaged or severed the drive wouldn't work. For ease of mind you can use another cable/connector from PSU if available.

A little variation of speeds in tests like that is normal but when it's a bit bigger it might be because the drive is doing something in the background.

Especially if it's a system drive where Windows lives. Background activity being Windows update download and install, security scan or other scheduled activity, file indexing etc. A system drive (HDD or SSD) is never really 100% idle.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
What is full system spec including PSU make and model? What is this SSD make and model?

If SATA power cable/connector is badly damaged or severed the drive wouldn't work. For ease of mind you can use another cable/connector from PSU if available.

A little variation of speeds in tests like that is normal but when it's a bit bigger it might be because the drive is doing something in the background.

Especially if it's a system drive where Windows lives. Background activity being Windows update download and install, security scan or other scheduled activity, file indexing etc. A system drive (HDD or SSD) is never really 100% idle.

Reactions: Jaga848
Solution

Jaga848

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2014
My system is:

Gigabyte B250-HD3P motherboard
Zotac GTX 1050ti
8 gb Kingston HyperX Fury 2400 ram
Intel i5 7400 3.0GHz
Corsair CX 450 PSU
Kingston A400 480GB SSD

It is a system drive, however I run Crystaldiskmark only when I see 0% disk usage in task manager.

So basically, when it comes to the PSU SATA power cable and possible damage, the SSD either works or doesn't? No performance impact?

Jaga848

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2014
The power cable can't impact performance like that.
It works or it doesn't.
Thank you very much, to the both of you!

Just a question so I know for the future, since now I know that a power cable can't impact performance, can the SATA MOBO cable impact it, or is it the same (works or doesn't)?