Question reduced wifi speed with upgraded internet

joelspaho1212

Prominent
Dec 2, 2019
hey so i recently upgraded my internet speed from 20 to 50 mbps and whenever i speedtest it only caps itself at 20mbps.im using a tplink wifi adapter wn722n v2 which only supports 2.4ghz however is advertised to support at least 150mbps of internet speed.when i speedtest the internet on my phone which supports 5ghz i achieve 50mbps. any solutions?

router model : CH6643

Last edited:

joelspaho1212

Prominent
Dec 2, 2019
its not my pc its an issue happening across all devices running 2.4ghz my internet speed caps at 20mbps but since you asked ill provide them:
Cpu : i3 2120
Ram : 4gb ddr3
wireless card : tp link wn722n v2

joelspaho1212

Prominent
Dec 2, 2019
update : whenever i change my router channel for 2.4 ghz the speed changes, for better or for worse - i managed to find a channel which caps my internet speed at 30mbps why does this happen and how can i fix it?

Key here is the 150 is a lie. It actually represents the data encoding more than the speed. In some very specialized lab test maybe you could get close. There is a lot of overhead that they "forget" to mention. They also do things like add transmit and recevie speeds together. This is like calling a gigbit cables 2gbit...except ethernet can actually send and receive a full gigabit at the same time.

It really depends on your end devices and what they actually support. 30mbps is a little slow but is not unexpected with you have a base number of 150. Even the ones that claim stuff like 600 on the 2.4g commonly only get maybe 75mbps or so. The only way to get faster is to move to the 5g radio band and use 802.11ac or the newest 802.11ax. These people get 300mbps and 600mbps on average.

Note be very sure you have a "v2". Some disruptible dealers are selling the older "v1" as "v2". The older one was some crap "draft" version that never work that well. If you look at the driver for the wifi nic and it is realtek then it is the newer chipset.

TRENDING THREADS