[SOLVED] Reducing temperature

Jan 8, 2022
Hi!
My GPU temperature goes up to 75c when I playing the division 2 maxed out while my CPU at 40c.

My build
i7 12700k
Palit RTX 3080
PC case phanteks p600s
Arctic liquid freezer ii 420 mount in front (tubes at the bottom)
3x140mm fans (1 in rear and 2 on top)

Is there a way to reduce the temperature of my GPU?

Solution
Hi!
My GPU temperature goes up to 75c when I playing the division 2 maxed out while my CPU at 40c.

My build
i7 12700k
Palit RTX 3080
PC case phanteks p600s

Those temperatures are perfectly fine. To be honest your CPU temperatures seems like the CPU is idling.

I don't think that you need to do anything.

If you insist though, there is the solution of making the fans of the radiator pushing air out instead of pulling in. Now, the air from the radiator is pushed inside so the GPU receives hotter than ambient temps air to cool itself. Of course you will need to make the other...
I would say there is no such need, 75c is absolutely fine temp for this GPU. But if you insist, there are ways. Applying more aggresive fan curve (so the GPU fans run faster at high temps) is one option - but it causes more noise. Undervolting the card or decreasing power limit is second option - but it will also reduce performance.

Reactions: Nick2123
Hi!

My build
i7 12700k
Palit RTX 3080
PC case phanteks p600s

Those temperatures are perfectly fine. To be honest your CPU temperatures seems like the CPU is idling.

If you insist though, there is the solution of making the fans of the radiator pushing air out instead of pulling in. Now, the air from the radiator is pushed inside so the GPU receives hotter than ambient temps air to cool itself. Of course you will need to make the other fans pulling air in.

You can also undervolt the GPU that will also help with temps.

Solution
Jan 8, 2022
I would say there is no such need, 75c is absolutely fine temp for this GPU. But if you insist, there are ways. Applying more aggresive fan curve (so the GPU fans run faster at high temps) is one option - but it causes more noise. Undervolting the card or decreasing power limit is second option - but it will also reduce performance.

If you insist though, there is the solution of making the fans of the radiator pushing air out instead of pulling in. Now, the air from the radiator is pushed inside so the GPU receives hotter than ambient temps air to cool itself. Of course you will need to make the other fans pulling air in.

You can also undervolt the GPU that will also help with temps.
It's already noisy under load and I don't want undervolt my GPU because I don't want to reduce performance. I'm thinking if I buy a 40mm fan and placed in the rear under the GPU will that help to reduce the temperature?

It's already noisy under load and I don't want undervolt my GPU because I don't want to reduce performance. I'm thinking if I buy a 40mm fan and placed in the rear under the GPU will that help to reduce the temperature?
Undervolting if done correctly can reduce temps without losing performance. Also due to how GPU boost 3 works, reducing temps will result in better clocks IF they are attainable.

I undervolt my GPU by -295, but the temperature still the same?
Not all cards can be undervolted with good results and unfortunately the 3000 series are usually not undervolting well. Nvidia has really pushed the limits of the silicon in every way so your card may not be able to perform the same with less temps.

Out of curiosity, did you notice any difference in clock speeds after the undervolt?

jasonf2

Distinguished
Thermal ceiling isn't going to hit on that chip until 85. At the temps you are listing undervolting is going to do nothing but hurt performance. If you are running at 75 under load your thermal solution is doing its job. If anything you may have a little overclock headroom at those temps, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Jan 8, 2022
Not all cards can be undervolted with good results and unfortunately the 3000 series are usually not undervolting well. Nvidia has really pushed the limits of the silicon in every way so your card may not be able to perform the same with less temps.

Out of curiosity, did you notice any difference in clock speeds after the undervolt?
Ok, that why I didn't see a temperature drops. Well, I just opened the side door a little and putted an outside fan that pushes cold air and it worked, temperature dropped to 65c at cost of noisiness. As for you question I saw the numbers change in techpowerup GPU (GPU clock to 1100 and boost to 1400) before were (GPU clock 1400 and boost 1700)

Ok, that why I didn't see a temperature drops. Well, I just opened the side door a little and putted an outside fan that pushes cold air and it worked, temperature dropped to 65c at cost of noisiness. As for you question I saw the numbers change in techpowerup GPU (GPU clock to 1100 and boost to 1400) before were (GPU clock 1400 and boost 1700)
That means your card was working at optimal settings. Your only solution left is better airflow but as I mentioned before, your temps are very good already.

I don't use GeForce experience, but if I set the temperature to 60c, what will happen if it goes over the temperature I set?
The card will throttle, so I don't recommend it.

Fect123

Reputable
Feb 17, 2021
I don't use GeForce experience, but if I set the temperature to 60c, what will happen if it goes over the temperature I set?
it just lowers your voltage & clock speed to keep your temperature at 60. usually your game will run just fine as it doesn't always need to be running at full clock. it's worth trying out, but undervolting will probably give better results.

Jan 8, 2022
That means your card was working at optimal settings. Your only solution left is better airflow but as I mentioned before, your temps are very good already.

The card will throttle, so I don't recommend it.
The case from inside is very warm under load like there is no cold air. That why I'm worried :)

Jan 8, 2022
it just lowers your voltage & clock speed to keep your temperature at 60. usually your game will run just fine as it doesn't always need to be running at full clock. it's worth trying out, but undervolting will probably give better results.
I already undervolted my card using MSI afterburner, but it didn't work.