[SOLVED] Redundant but unpredictable Kernel_power Crashes while in game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2021
Ok hello everyone,
I have some kernel power issues with my homemade computer since ive made it (more or less 4 month ago), ive done a lot of unsucesfull research and test, and i just don't what to do but calling for help.
Also sorry but im french so my english might be mediocre.

First, my setup :
MB : Gigabyte B450M DS3H
CPU : AMD Rysen 5 3600 (stock cooler)
GPU : AMD RX580 4GB VRAM de chez YESTON (suplied by 8+6 pins) (Buy used, but talk a lot with the guy and i trust him)
PS (previous) : Seasonic S12 II 500W ATX 12V 80+ Bronze (buy used, but professional seller)
PS (actual) : Intertech Argus RGB 750W
RAM : Corsair Vengence LPX 2X8GB DDR4 3200 MHz
SSD : Crucial 92 NVMexpress M.2 500Go (Windows installed here)
HDD : Seagate Baracuda 1To

No component have been overclocked
all component stay relatively cool on all use (GPU max 75°, CPU max 80°, only when playing modded doom eternal)

Next, the issue :
The issue is a complete crash of the computer, displaying a black, grey or brown screen for several seconds with a freezed sound.
Then the pc will shut down, then instantly reboot into the windows logging screen, without showing any loading sreen.
No crash dump will be created, but a kernel_power 41 critical error report will be found.
This hapend only while playing heavy games, almost exlusively on total war warhammer II (campaign map), but one time or two on other games like Doom Eternal, Doom 2016 or Prey.
The crash do not shows up consistently, he can be away for a week and then shows up every hour on a total war campaign.
There is no clear patern on when it will shows up except :
-this happend 1/2 time on auto save
-this happend only on campaign map in total war
-this happend only if the game is runing in front page
-this does not happend on lighter games
-changing the graphics options does not matter

What ive done so far (chronologically):
-Checking the games integrity
-Checkings my drivers/windows updates
-Checking my hardware build
-Disabling the fast boot option on windows
-Reinstaling the majors drivers
-Checking widows integrity with SFC
-Reinstaling my games
-Changing the Power supply (see setup)
-Changing my case cooling for x3 arctic P12
-stop using a multiple outlet (i dont know if this is a english way to say it)
-use another outlet in my room
-stress the component with OCCT (every test for 1h except the "power" one that ive done for only 10 min beacause my CPU was getting to hot. This triggered no crash)
-Pray the omnissiah with candles a some mechanicus ost wile covering myself with arduino cards

So... I'm basicly lost, cause you know i just a neophyte in hadware science, this is my first ever pc build and i do not have the money to buy new components for testing.
And here i am asking for help !

Solution
"Event 41" is a catch-all for all cases where the PC unexpectedly loses power and is typically caused by a crappy/failing/struggling PSU. With some modern GPUs such as the RTX3070 and up, it can also be caused by current draw spikes from the GPU tripping the PSU's OCP/OPP.

InvalidError

Titan
"Event 41" is a catch-all for all cases where the PC unexpectedly loses power and is typically caused by a crappy/failing/struggling PSU. With some modern GPUs such as the RTX3070 and up, it can also be caused by current draw spikes from the GPU tripping the PSU's OCP/OPP.

Solution
Aug 14, 2021

Thanks for the precision.

Aug 14, 2021
That Seasonic is crap for a recent system, the Inter-Tech is not much better.

Update motherboard BIOS to the latest version first.

What version is written on the memory sticks next to the voltage? (ver. 4.32 for example)

Well its true that i haven't update my bios, im doing this and give you a report.
Also, im sorry but i don't really know were is the memory stick on my motherboard, i ll search on my friend internet and reply you back

thank for the help, like really, i was running out of ideas

Aug 14, 2021
More stable with the new BIOS?

4.32 is Samsung OEM, not specified. Probably degraded B-die or C-die. Not my fav with Ryzen. I've seen some stability issues with it.

Well I let the more problematic game run in campaign benchmark for quite some time and no crash to report ! I don't know if the problem is 100% fixed (i will need at least a week without crash to say that), but its definitely a good sign.
Thanks anyway for your support my friend, i feel a little dumb for my months of struggling without thinking about my bios, but it shows me once again that calling for help is sometime useful !

Status
Not open for further replies.