Redundant PSUs In A Standard ATX Chassis: FSP's Twins Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
WOW!

I am impressed and have to say I am excited about this as we finally see some technology improvements in consumer PSU other than RGB fans. Cant wait to see the titanium variants with 0 RPM 140mm fans.

I look forward to the review and the release of these.

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I remember seeing something like this a very long time ago. I'm saying close to 10 years. Redundant ATX powersuppy. I never went for one because I needed way more power than they were able to put out at the time.

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I am sure some people will have no understanding as to why anyone would want this, just like they dont understand having lots of ram and lots of cores.

Anyways, this is exactly what I have been seeking. We build workstations and servers for clients that cannot or will not shell out lots of money for a commercial system. Being able to offer a redundant ATX psu is great. I have a system running 24/7 right now that I would love to drop this into.

Faux_Grey

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
Clearly nobody here has worked around server grade PSU units.

Dudes. 2x 40mm fans.

Expect 2000RPM at minimum. This thing is going to be LOUD.
Thankfully "semi passive"

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

I work around them all the time in the network closet, those suckers are loud as hell. I was hoping that the modular units themselves would be passive and a larger 140mm fan would be installed in the housing itself and have some kind of backplane that provides power to the fan.

toffty

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2015
I don't see enough room at the bottom of the chassis to house a 120/140mm fan. I'll assume there's a 40mm fan at the front of each of the insertable psu's

Ok, If you scroll down though this http://fsp-europe.com/twins-500700w/ you will see that it does work with 120/115V AC at 88% efficiency and also the PSU's have what look like 40mm fans.

Chassis Fan: Dual ball bearing fan, 40 mm

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

Thanks for the link!
I am extremely disappointed now. After scrolling down to the bottom of the page I saw the horrid 40mm fan :(.
There is more than enough room in the bottom of the powersupply frame to fit at least a 120mm fan under the guide rails even if it was a slim 120mm fan. or at least place a 80mm fan on the outside of the frame next to the ponytail . Anything is better than 40mm fans. I had to get rid of my HP Mediasmart server because of that horrid fan. Those things scream!

Two 500W (or 700W) hot-swap, (presumably) high-quality, digital (with monitoring), small form factor PSUs that work together until one fails, then causing the other to take over completely? $400 (or $500) really doesn't sound bad in context. I won't be out getting one, but if I was in the market for such a product, that seems like a decent deal and I have to admit it's a clever way to implement redundant power supplies in a typical ATX form factor, granted the 40mm fan can probably compete with a small jet engine both in effectiveness and noise production.

Status
Not open for further replies.