[SOLVED] Reeaaalllly slow lenovo desktop....

TheMaster122

Reputable
Nov 27, 2019
My garbage lenovo desktop has 4 GB DDR4 2400Mhz memory and an A9-9420 with R5 stoney ridge integrated graphics and a 1TB seagate hard drive. I tried deleting useless pre-installed windows apps, Switching to high performance mode and finding apps that use lots of memory and deleting them. I just want to play left 4 dead 2 at low setting at 1080p, what should i do to free up memory and speed up my computer?

Solution
Left 4 Dead 2 isn't very demanding...you can probably run it on low with a few tweaks.

Make sure the BIOS is set to provide the maximum amount of memory to the GPU...it might default to a small amount like 64mb with the option to use 128mb or more...max it out.

Turn off shadows, vsync, and anti-aliasing in game and in the GPU's control panel.

Also an ssd replacement for the 1TB seagate hard drive will make a huge difference...you'll think you're on a much newer machine.

Nothing you can do short of buying a newer laptop will give you good quality graphics at 1080 with the hardware you have but you might be able to improve it enough to be acceptable at low.
My garbage lenovo desktop has 4 GB DDR4 2400Mhz memory and an A9-9420 with R5 stoney ridge integrated graphics and a 1TB seagate hard drive. I tried deleting useless pre-installed windows apps, Switching to high performance mode and finding apps that use lots of memory and deleting them. I just want to play left 4 dead 2 at low setting at 1080p, what should i do to free up memory and speed up my computer?
It's not the memory that's the issue it's the total lack of CPU power.

WIth what OS?

4 GB is marginal even just for booting to the desktop even with Windows 7, 8.1, or WIn10, much less fantasizing about playing much more than solitaire....(naturally, 32 Bit OS is limited to 4 GB anyway, however)

Last edited:

lynx1021

Distinguished
What is the exact model of your Lenovo? You do need more memory and a GPU to really do anything but surf and email. I may be able to make some recommendations. You may be able to go in the BIOS an allocate more memory for your onboard graphics.

Left 4 Dead 2 isn't very demanding...you can probably run it on low with a few tweaks.

Make sure the BIOS is set to provide the maximum amount of memory to the GPU...it might default to a small amount like 64mb with the option to use 128mb or more...max it out.

Turn off shadows, vsync, and anti-aliasing in game and in the GPU's control panel.

Also an ssd replacement for the 1TB seagate hard drive will make a huge difference...you'll think you're on a much newer machine.

Nothing you can do short of buying a newer laptop will give you good quality graphics at 1080 with the hardware you have but you might be able to improve it enough to be acceptable at low.

Solution

The integrated graphics will run faster if you add a second 4 GB memory stick to run it in dual channel mode. AMD A9 graphics are OK for not demanding games, but you would want dual channel RAM to maximize the speed.

My system has windows 10 64-bit, so I can upgrade my memory , but it will be a waste of time and money for such low end hardware

Without buying a faster laptop in the first place, that is the only thing you can do. 4gb of RAM is cheap, and dual channel RAM makes a big difference in integrated video card speeds. A solid state drive would speed the system up in general but won't do as much for in game speeds as dual channel RAM. I did tests with the AMD A model chips, had a system with I think an A4 CPU and running RAM in dual channel got about a 20% boost in benchmarks.