Reference GTX 970 or an aftermarket GTX 970?

Wolfbayne

Reputable
Sep 19, 2014
Hi guys, once again i need your help. I was thinking about picking up a 970 soon and i was wondering which one i should get. I love the overall looks about the reference card but im not sure if it will perform "well" as, lets say the MSI 970. i was already leaning towards the msi version but BestBuy is selling the reference version so...yeah. Which one do you guys think is better overall?

Solution
In a small case, running SLI the reference card is a better option, it vents hot air out of the case.
In an open case, or roomy SLI, aftermarket cards are better, they vent the card better and get rid of the heat faster.

Aftermarket cards are also clocked higher, and OC better.

I recommend the MSI model, but prices may sway this recommendation.
MSI on stock will obviously be better due to factory-OC. But since the 970 is low TDP card, the reference coolers are as good as aftermarket ones for cooling the card. And once you're familier with OCing GPUs, it's a matter of time that a reference 970 will hit factory-OC card's speed. I'd go for the reference unless MSI is similarly priced.

In a small case, running SLI the reference card is a better option, it vents hot air out of the case.
In an open case, or roomy SLI, aftermarket cards are better, they vent the card better and get rid of the heat faster.

Aftermarket cards are also clocked higher, and OC better.

I recommend the MSI model, but prices may sway this recommendation.

Solution