Jun 15, 2020
Hello all-

It’s been an interesting couple of days. A very good friend of mine has an esteemed computer building business among other things, and helped build me a new business workhorse/gaming powerhouse. I am experiencing, however, some frustrating issues. I have, to no avail, exhausted his time and patience (I am sure) and he has been so very kind in helping me try and sort this out. Let’s give him a break.

The specifications are as follows:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Windforce OC 3X 8GB
ASRock B450m/ac
Corsair CX650m
WD Blue Nvme m.2280 500GB
G.Skill Ripjaws 3200mhz 16gb (2x8)

Looks beautiful!

For the sake of time, I’m going to copy an excerpt from a Reddit thread where I asked the same question a day or two ago, just to save you time in figuring out all the odds and ends with my predicament:

“Sadly, in spite of our best efforts, it seems that, even after referring to benchmarks and demonstrations using nearly identical builds with the same settings applied, I am getting around 10-20fps less than what I’ve seen others achieve (stock), and besides Gears of War 5, I experience micro stutters [not more than a nano second long, almost like FPS lag or a single frame drop] throughout (Warzone, BF5).

I can assure you that the PC was built with extreme care and to my knowledge all the little things like XMP, bios updates, driver updates, optimization settings, RAM tunings, etc... was taken care of - this young man is absolutely no slack with that. I also double checked a few things. Specifically, in BF5 and Warzone, I see others with nearly identical builds achieving 105-120Fps regularly [would be happy to provide eons of links], where I am more in the 80-90 range, again, with stutters here and there. (Yes, I’ve tried V-Sync, etc... still stutters, and that shouldn’t be an issue anyway).”

Now I know many of you will say “lower this setting” and “optimize your options in game”, but with all due respect, such a sacrifice is simply not justified with the price paid to put this together.

As of the last day, I’ve experienced some positive results in BFV and what not, getting frames above 100 finally, however that is where it stops. And even still, intermittently I’m experiencing very very subtle, but noticeable micro stutters. Little tiny ones. Still, COD Warzone performance is inconsistent and not consistent with what others have quoted and demonstrated with similar systems.

I have been referred here by many who believe your community is more than capable of helping solve the issue. This is a very important project to me, and I dearly ask for your expertise. I sincerely look forward to your help, and I thank you for your time in advance.

Last edited:
Solution
Interesting. Most of my gaming is done at 1440p. I don't think I've used this for anything at 1080p since it was put together.

But at stock, shouldn't my CPU be doing just as fine as most others' at stock? Like I said I feel like there's something I'm missing. Also, I noticed some discrepancies when changing from HDMI to DisplayPort yesterday (had to RMA a monitor for pixels and this new monitor did not come with DP so I had to use HDMI until the cable came in) as far as performance etc... This monitor has Adaptive Sync (PA278QV by ASUS) and I understand that when introducing a DP cable it becomes available, however, I know there are variables in how applications and the Nvidia Control Panel process and apply G-Sync with all...

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Where are you referencing these "benchmarks showing X better"?

I would warn that with little exception most of the reviewers and such on YouTube are full of stuffing. Almost all of them are paid by various companies to review products in a positive light and with the best performance possible. In many cases this is by way of doing various things within settings that they aren't disclosing or being straightforward about.

Just in a very quick look at your specs my own considerations "could be" type things.
Is that motherboard built with good enough VRM to allow the full PBO potential for the CPU you have, and did you get lucky on the silicone lottery?
Is the video card you are using the EXACT same model as the one in the reviews?
Are the reviewers also using 3200mhz RAM? (Ryzen benefits in some games with what would seem a miniscule increase here)

There are a LOT of factors that could be at play here. It's almost never a good idea to do a system to system comparison based on a YouTube video, and even at that are plenty of anecdotal posts here regarding people with two of the same builds with different performance.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Jun 15, 2020
A reply to BOTH of these replies. Again, thank you for your time!

CPU and GPU temps in game? HWmonitor can show these
My GPU temp is usually idle at below 40 and during games, about 50-75ish.
CPU temp idles around 40-50 and during games, about 50-70 also. Interestingly, the first video I've linked to below shows that user's GPU going to 80 degrees!

Where are you referencing these "benchmarks showing X better"?

I would warn that with little exception most of the reviewers and such on YouTube are full of stuffing. Almost all of them are paid by various companies to review products in a positive light and with the best performance possible. In many cases this is by way of doing various things within settings that they aren't disclosing or being straightforward about.

Just in a very quick look at your specs my own considerations "could be" type things.
Is that motherboard built with good enough VRM to allow the full PBO potential for the CPU you have, and did you get lucky on the silicone lottery?
Is the video card you are using the EXACT same model as the one in the reviews?
Are the reviewers also using 3200mhz RAM? (Ryzen benefits in some games with what would seem a miniscule increase here)

There are a LOT of factors that could be at play here. It's almost never a good idea to do a system to system comparison based on a YouTube video, and even at that are plenty of anecdotal posts here regarding people with two of the same builds with different performance.

I have pasted below a few links to people with almost identical boards:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnkU-knoYzU

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNEDvyoKNgY

The first link actually shows a video of a user playing with the SAME subvendor's card as mine (Gigabyte Windforce OC)

One thing I notice is their clock speeds are going to 1935~ where mine usually tops out at 1905. Don't know if that's a thing.

In addition. I don't know if my motherboard is holding me back, perhaps it is, how would I know? Is there a way to check that out? I would love for that to be an issue as I could just swap it out. What would an alternative be? It's an mATX build just to inform you. They all seem to be using just about the same speed RAM as I.

Thank you again, looking forward to hearing your responses.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
So, two things jump out at me instantly about your reply.

"Almost" identical motherboard.

The difference in clock speed observed indicates that either the card isn't 'identical' either, or an overclock is in play.

As I mention above, subtle differences and possible little "tricks" to cast the best light.

Sorry for the double post

ASUS PB278QV

I see you have a similar rig! What do you get at 1440p Ultra in WZ, if you don't mind me asking?

I don't play War Zone often but for Ground War around 120 to 142, but I do cap it at 142 FPS. Everything is on High but no Ray Tracing. That's a frame killer.

What are you gpu temps when stressed? FurMark is a free download. I could run that later tonight and see what I get. Games are hard to compare, a benchmark is preferred.

And War Zone is not the best optimized game out there to compare frame rates, and they could change with each new game update.

Jun 15, 2020
I don't play War Zone often but for Ground War around 120 to 142, but I do cap it at 142 FPS. Everything is on High but no Ray Tracing. That's a frame killer.

What are you gpu temps when stressed? FurMark is a free download. I could run that later tonight and see what I get. Games are hard to compare, a benchmark is preferred.

And War Zone is not the best optimized game out there to compare frame rates, and they could change with each new game update.
Okay, then would you be up to a fur mark comparison tonight? I do have it, let me know exactly how I should run it! Thank you!

So, two things jump out at me instantly about your reply.

"Almost" identical motherboard.

The difference in clock speed observed indicates that either the card isn't 'identical' either, or an overclock is in play.

As I mention above, subtle differences and possible little "tricks" to cast the best light.

That first video - if you see, in the specs, used an EXACT same card as I. Would that mean he is overclocking then? I actually got in touch, and he can’t remember. Additionally, everybody I see gets 1925~ MHz claiming stock, whereas I cap out at around 1905 most times. Is my motherboard to blame then? How could I improve this?

I just looked at the gpu specs.

If you have the Gigabyte Aorus RTX 2070 Super Windforce OC 3X 8GB as you stated has a max clock it will run is 1905MHz. Many people doing videos overclock their gpu's, so the guy in the video was overclocking to get above 1905.

Does you pc stutter during other games? WarZone is a bad example, no one has smooth game play in that title.

My Asus 2070S will hit 1935MHz. But that little bit shouldn't be much of a difference between our two gpu's.

You sure your memory speed is really running at 3200MHz?

Jun 15, 2020
I just looked at the gpu specs.

If you have the Gigabyte Aorus RTX 2070 Super Windforce OC 3X 8GB as you stated has a max clock it will run is 1905MHz. Many people doing videos overclock their gpu's, so the guy in the video was overclocking to get above 1905.

Does you pc stutter during other games? WarZone is a bad example, no one has smooth game play in that title.

My Asus 2070S will hit 1935MHz. But that little bit shouldn't be much of a difference between our two gpu's.

You sure your memory speed is really running at 3200MHz?
According to task manager it’s at 3200. According to CPU-Z I have dual channel and under XMP it says 1600.
Additionally, both those videos show the clock speed being 1935!

Using afterburner just to monitor everything in the overlay, I noticed when in full screen borderless, voltage and power warnings constantly come up… I don’t know if that’s a thing, or if that has anything to do with the VRM and motherboard as you stated.

Like I said, it’s not a long stutter at all when it DOES happen, and it almost is reminiscent to a single micron of a frame dropping.

in BFV, as I stated, finally got above 100fps consistently, but there are fractions of a nanosecond that stutter like I stated, especially in the first few moments of spawning for the first time. That part I feel might be normal as it’s getting situated, but sometimes throughout it’ll have a small hiccup.

I’ve been told this could be CPU? Does this even sound like a hardware issue?

first of all, that difference of 30 mhz is nominal... second, u cud do 3 things:
  1. turn off game mode...
  2. turn on high performance in power settings...
  3. reset bios by taking the motherboard battery out and then put in after 15 seconds... then set the ram settings to xmp...
Also see if any bios updates are available or not..

Also whats the windows version u have now?

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2020
first of all, that difference of 30 mhz is nominal... second, u cud do 3 things:
  1. turn off game mode...
  2. turn on high performance in power settings...
  3. reset bios by taking the motherboard battery out and then put in after 15 seconds... then set the ram settings to xmp...
Also see if any bios updates are available or not..

Also whats the windows version u have now?
So the game mode is off, high performance is on I believe. I don’t feel comfortable messing with my motherboard, but without going into BIOS, is there a way of seeing for sure that my RAM is in fact XMP?
I have the newest version of Windows AFAIK.

According to the info you gave your memory is running at 3200MHz.

Once again, game stutters in multiplayer as you have described are more along the lines of the game coding. A common benchmark is the best way to test relative performance.

Let's also check your cpu. Download CineBench 20, it's free. See what the single and multi-core results are.

Jun 15, 2020
According to the info you gave your memory is running at 3200MHz.

Once again, game stutters in multiplayer as you have described are more along the lines of the game coding. A common benchmark is the best way to test relative performance.

Let's also check your cpu. Download CineBench 20, it's free. See what the single and multi-core results are.
Ah yes! I’ll do that in one hour. If my CPU had any shortcomings, that would find them, no?

Sorry for the double post

ASUS PB278QV

I see you have a similar rig! What do you get at 1440p Ultra in WZ, if you don't mind me asking?

That's a 75Hz monitor. It doesn't matter what the gpu is capable of your monitor will limit the FPS to 75 maximum. You should limit the FPS in game (it's an option in CoD) to 70-73 FPS to see if this eliminates the occasional micro-stutter. Not sure how good FreeSync works with that monitor. You may want to ask in the monitor section of the forums.

CineBench 20 will likely show your cpu is running just fine. It's a good benchmark.

Jun 15, 2020
That's a 75Hz monitor. It doesn't matter what the gpu is capable of your monitor will limit the FPS to 75 maximum. You should limit the FPS in game (it's an option in CoD) to 70-73 FPS to see if this eliminates the occasional micro-stutter. Not sure how good FreeSync works with that monitor. You may want to ask in the monitor section of the forums.

CineBench 20 will likely show your cpu is running just fine. It's a good benchmark.
As I said, I have set V sync on just for that reason and there still were stutters in COD.

My monitor has Adaptive Sync/Freesync.

All the examples I showed you had players allowing for no frame rate caps either and they seemed to have a smoother experience.

Ok, we don't know what monitors they were using.

A common fix for micro-stuttering if limiting the FPS to what your monitor is capable of. The suggestion is valid.

Typically, it's Free-Sync/G-Sync on and V sync off. Usually not recommended to run both at the same time.

Are you using Wifi or a direct LAN connection?

Jun 15, 2020
Ok, we don't know what monitors they were using.

A common fix for micro-stuttering if limiting the FPS to what your monitor is capable of. The suggestion is valid.

Typically, it's Free-Sync/G-Sync on and V sync off. Usually not recommended to run both at the same time.

Are you using Wifi or a direct LAN connection?
Wifi, but I use it with Gears 5 also and I have no problems there, nothing perceivable at least.

As far as Free-Sync on V sync off, how do I go about that? Turn V-Sync off on the game, and apply it to my monitor?

How do I go about that?

Is XMP enabled?

I know it shouldn't matter but that is the lowest of the low end b450 boards available. Maybe the VRM can't keep up? Or the fact there isn't a CPU ATX power connector?

Run userbenchmark.com and post results here.

I'm not sure how to answer this. How would I know if my MoBo is holding it back? What is an ATX power connector? It's an mATX. And I have a microATX case. So I'd need to stay micro. How could I do that with a different MoBo?

Also, will post cinebench and userbenchmark here momentarily.

Jun 15, 2020
CINEBENCH score is 4730.

UserBenchmarks: Game 105%, Desk 109%, Work 105%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - 92.3%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070S (Super) - 113.4%
SSD: WD Blue SN550 NVMe PCIe M.2 500GB - 195.1%
RAM: G.SKILL F4 DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB - 82.1%
MBD: Asrock B450M/ac