[SOLVED] Reflowing GPU-whats the worst that can happen?

jzeds1491

Reputable
Feb 25, 2020
{{Hi, sometimes your rage on games gets out of control and then you end up with broken screen or gamepad,in my case almost everything.
So I hit my laptop right at the center and game graphics gets a little wired(textures changed color) I try reinstalling drivers and hoping it will fix, but it didn't, even can't install drivers.
It was a dedicated gpu so laptop works OK now}}
The issue:
- I'm planning for a reflow and praying that pads on MoBoard and gpu are ok.
I bought flox,heater gun,2 thermometers(for making sure about temperature)
Q:Can something worse happen (like not booting up)?
+++(advices are welcome) +++
P.s.I will be very gentle about heating up speed to reach 240 degrees Celsius
+Laptop alienware m14xr1 nvidia555 gpu
+good distance from gpu to other components on board also no visible damage on chip itself

Solution
Worst that can happen is you burn the motherboard or other components, or desolder random other components (very possible, a heat gun is not very precise), making the laptop not boot up. Reflow with a heat gun is very difficult.

Gillfreex

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2012
Pretty much going to echo what @extreme_noob said.
Melted pcb or other components desoldering and being removed. With a heat gun if the airflow is too high it will more than likely blow some other components off. Or if there is a large amount of grounding it will take excessive heat and may cause damage.

If I were you I would take a lot of closeup photos of the components and their orientation. So if some do come off you'd be able to resolder them or have a professional do it.

Good luck, keep us posted

jzeds1491

Reputable
Feb 25, 2020
Pretty much going to echo what @extreme_noob said.
Melted pcb or other components desoldering and being removed. With a heat gun if the airflow is too high it will more than likely blow some other components off. Or if there is a large amount of grounding it will take excessive heat and may cause damage.

If I were you I would take a lot of closeup photos of the components and their orientation. So if some do come off you'd be able to resolder them or have a professional do it.

Good luck, keep us posted

Worst thing that can happen is you end up with a paper weight. On the upside, you will have to get a new laptop.

Thanks, I did however reflow the top of gpu and nothing changed 😕 , up to 235 degree for one or 2 min (8-10 min total time)
it's too bad to lose gaming laptop like this,worst part is I tried new drivers and they did install bringing my hopes up and then... nope doesn't run.
I'll take it to a professional after screen replacement(plus keyboard, I destroyed everything but he's still working!)

TRENDING THREADS