EvoPro

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
My current windows and file system formatting is from 2002. I've just moved the HD from PC to PC to save time and data. But I feel like there's been so much stuff on it that the PC is just getting bogged down. Would a reformat and re-install of windows make a signifigant performance increase in my system speeds?

splattered

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
Before going the whole hog and formatting your drive and then reinstalling the OS and Apps, you could try a program like Diskeeper and defrag the drive. if you do not notice a huge difference afterwards, then you can go the reinstall route.

Have you ever done a real defrag since 2002, and I do not mean a windows defrag?

INeedCache

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Yes, it would. If you don't have a problem with reinstalling a few programs, and your Windows installation is from 2002, I recommend a reinstall. We do a reinstall about every two years with our business and personal machines even if we aren't having problems. That's not to say everyone should, but a 4 year old installation would benefit from a fresh install. If you haven't upgraded your motherboard BIOS in a while, I'd recommend doing that before the reinstall. If you have a 7200 or greater RPM drive, you will not notice much of boost, if any, from a defrag, as it is highly overrated with the faster drives. Unless your drive is very highly fragmented, you likely won't notice anything after a defrag.