Reformat C Drive on Compaq Presario SR1012NX ???

I have a new Compaq Presario SR1012NX.

I'd like to reformat the C drive so that the only software on the
computer is the XP System, and reinstall my own software.

Is it possible to do this? I can find any format commands on this
computer that don't use the Compaq software recovery stuff.

I have a window98 disk and an XP upgrade to use, as it seems to me
that the XP that Compaq uses on this computer has some commands
disabled.

I bought this computer because the hard drive on the old one crashed;
just wanted the bigger hard drive and faster CPU.

Appreciate any help. I'm a somewhat computer literate little old lady,
but not too much so.

==============

hh

What commands are you referring to?
HH

"digby" <maplesy@aol-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> I have a new Compaq Presario SR1012NX.
>
> I'd like to reformat the C drive so that the only software on the
> computer is the XP System, and reinstall my own software.
>
> Is it possible to do this? I can find any format commands on this
> computer that don't use the Compaq software recovery stuff.
>
> I have a window98 disk and an XP upgrade to use, as it seems to me
> that the XP that Compaq uses on this computer has some commands
> disabled.
>
> I bought this computer because the hard drive on the old one crashed;
> just wanted the bigger hard drive and faster CPU.
>
> Appreciate any help. I'm a somewhat computer literate little old lady,
> but not too much so.
>
> ==============
troubleshooting newsgroups.

I'd like to use the common Windows messages like "Backup", and "Copy";
can't even think of others right now. I can't even figure out how to
make a boot disk for this computer.

I bought this computer because the hard drive on my 5 year old gateway
burned out. I thought I would get a new computer for the larger hard
drive and the CD burner.

Ideally I want a bare bones OS that I can install my own software on.
I'm assuming I can download drivers for the CD burner and other
hardware.

I don't want or need all the "stuff" Compaw has loaded on. I've
managed to delete some of it, but don't know what other files I can
safely get rid of.

If I ever have to use the recovery disk because of problems, all that
other "stuff" will be installed again.

Thanks.

==============

PK1973

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Yes, you can it's easy!

Restart computer and go to BIOS by click F1 before the OS starts running. Change boot option to CD first, save and exit.

computer will reboot automatically and your CD will start ... go on with installation.

willyblake2000

Actually, I have the same problem and the proposed solution didn't work. I set the bios to boot to the CD ROM first but it still goes right on past and into the original XP install. Tried removing the hard drive as an option in the bios and all I get is a non-system disk error, even after setting the 1st boot device to CD Rom and having a valid copy of Win98 inserted.
Also, by using the System Recovery selction at boot, I could get to DOS window but I am unable to format or even delete the active partition. Any other thoughts?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Que

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2005
There might be a key to press right after start-up to access boot options. Isn't there a line on your screen saying "press escape for boot options" or similar, if so, it might boot from cd this way.
If not, try another cd, maybe a linux one, just to format. Another option is downloading Hiren's boot cd, try booting from that. Loads of options there to start up with, plain DOS, Mini windows-95, and dozens more.