slidai

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
Hey guys,

At work we just have a little dell Vostro 200 to run a cd/dvd labeling program. Well the other day i get a pop up that says windows might have a virus, run this program to check. Well we all knows thats BS so i hit X and it started to run the program anyway. I stopped the program and after i did, it installed two icons on my desktop one saying windows update. Well again, total BS so i delete them but they pop right back up. When i restarted the computer it said the registry was changed so i was just like f this i am reformatting.

When i tried to reformat the hard drive it just sits at a black screen after you press "any key to boot from cd". I put the hard drive into another computer and it did the same thing. Dell says the hard drive is not being detected by the motherboard but when i go into bios, its all right there. We have only had the computer like a month.. and the hard drive is Western Digital which have always been awesome to me. Any ideas?

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Try running the WD diagnostic/repair software from their web site. Also, run an antivirus scan off a floppy or CD. If it's a new Dell, tell them to fix it.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006

Did the new drive fix it? Keep in mind, no matter how good the mfg, they can all put out a bad piece or a batch of them. I'm sure even Honda puts out a lemon now and then