[SOLVED] Reformat USB Drive?

tomseurocat

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2014
I have a USB Drive that I made into a Linux OS boot drive that I now would like to reformat so that I can re-use this drive. When I plug it into my PC I get the message 'Please insert a disk in USB Drive (O:)'. I can't insert a USB in a USB, so I don't know what to do with this USB. Any thoughts?

Solution
Hmmm, sounds like Windows is seeing it as a drive that's in use.

If you're sure it isn't in use, you could format using Diskpart...

Open Command Prompt (CMD) as an administrator - Search "CMD" then right click and 'run as administrator'.
type "diskpart" and enter
"list disk" and enter
"select disk #" and enter (where # = the corresponding number for your USB)
"clean" and enter
"create primary partition" and enter

At that stage, you can exit diskpart (type "exit" and enter twice) - and assign a drive letter/format a drive from Windows GUI.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Hmmm, sounds like Windows is seeing it as a drive that's in use.

If you're sure it isn't in use, you could format using Diskpart...

Open Command Prompt (CMD) as an administrator - Search "CMD" then right click and 'run as administrator'.
type "diskpart" and enter
"list disk" and enter
"select disk #" and enter (where # = the corresponding number for your USB)
"clean" and enter
"create primary partition" and enter

At that stage, you can exit diskpart (type "exit" and enter twice) - and assign a drive letter/format a drive from Windows GUI.

Solution

tomseurocat

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2014
When I try to execute "create primary partition" command, I get the following result back.
9rLP88k.png

When I try to format via the Windows GUI I get the same 'Windows was unable to complete the format' message. Is the command prompt asking me to choose?