Reformatting my HD

Gecckk

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
Hi bought my gaming pc 4 years ago, within the 4 years i have upgraded every component i originally had, my pc is running like a dead horse. When i first bought my pc is came pre built with windows 8 already installed on it so i never got gave a windows disc.
I have been told that if i completely wipe my HD that i may need the original windows installation disc &/Or the product key. Im worried incase i reformat the HD and am stuck with a dead computer that requires a disc i dont have.

Is it possible to wipe my computer clean and start a fresh without a windows disc?

Thanks in advance

Peter

Just make a new disk using http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media. You WILL need the product key.

Most likely you can also simply upgrade to Windows 10, which will not need the product key if you upgrade directly. After upgrading, you can reformat all you want with the same hardware, no keys necessary.

Gecckk

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016

If i upgrade my pc from windows 8 to windows 10 can i make it a clean install that wipes all remaining data from the pc and starts fresh with windows 10?

Only after upgrading and verifying activation. It might take a day or two for the verification to take place though. Once verified, you can do a clean install (delete all partitions and make new one) or even get a new disk (but only for same motherboard/computer)