Question Reformatting PC and help on how to backup ?

Gamer_extreme_111

Commendable
Jul 14, 2020
So I'm confused about how to backup stuff but I already bought an external hard drive two SSD for my uses and my old SATA SSD I plan to reset my old SATA SSD and install windows on my new SSD using a USB so I'm still confused on how I will backup my files and stuff so I planned on making two backups which I'm still unfamiliar with it using one of my new SSD and my external drive but I will use a third party app on my external drive and I will be using windows on my new SSD and I'm a bit skeptical on using windows built-in backup because a lot of people recommended using third-party apps and windows backup is kinda bad and outdated so that is why I tried to make two backups now I will be trying to make a backup on my external drive using macrium reflect and is there any other apps or ways? I just planned on using macrium reflect cause a lot of people recommended it I will be doing a system image backup which I'm still trying to understand cause I want to restart my pc and start fresh and access my old files specifically and if i did a system image backup can I restore specific files? and also does doing a copy and paste for backup ok? also i plan to transfer my backup from my new SSD to my old SATA SSD but i still don't have an idea on how to transfer it do i just move them? and also can I put (edit:) multiple backups in the same drive? so I'm kinda confused on how backup works.

Last edited:

Gamer_extreme_111

Commendable
Jul 14, 2020
For the rest of your question, I'm still a bit confused on what you're actually looking to do.

A fresh OS install on a new drive?
Yes and I also planned to put my backup from my new SSD the one where I put my other backup that used the built in backup in windows to my old SATA SSD after i reset it so that i could use my two new SSD and use my SATA SSD as a backup for my fresh installed windows and my old one so that's why I also asked if I could put two backup in one drive but after searching in the internet it seems that it's possible . apologize for my grammar error i edited it so that it won't be misunderstood

USAFRet

Titan
Yes and I also planned to put my backup from my new SSD the one where I put my other backup that used the built in backup in windows to my old SATA SSD after i reset it so that i could use my two new SSD and use my SATA SSD as a backup for my fresh installed windows and my old one so that's why I also asked if I could put two backup in one drive but after searching in the internet it seems that it's possible . apologize for my grammar error i edited it so that it won't be misunderstood
With Macrium, you can create as many full drive Images as you want, on whatever drives you want.
As long as there is enough free space.

An Image created with Macrium is a single files. <something>.mrimage.

With all of my installs, I create a Day 1 image.
This is...after the OS install and all current updates have been run.
This gets saved somewhere.

Then, a Day 2 image. This is after my base load of applications.

After that, my regular backup routine.
A Full image, followed by a rolling series of Incremental or Differential, depending on the particular system and its needs.

My routine is modified a little since I wrote this, but the basics are the same...