Refresh rate reverts when I change resolution

gab_th

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2010
I just built a computer with unused parts I had lying around and plugged it to a TV screen that supports 180i definition and works at 60Hz refresh rate. When I increased the resolution from 720p to 1080, the refresh rate went down to 30Hz automatically, and when I change it to 60 Hz, the resolution goes down to less than 720, so for the time being I just left it at 720 @ 60Hz. I'm using an HDMI cable plugged to an HD 7750 2GB DDR3. The Screen is an LCD Sony Bravia, model number KDL-32M4000.

Any ideas?

Solution
That is likely your best solution, but you can check to see if there is an interleave checkbox under advanced settings in the Windows Screen Resolution dialog.

Anonymouselite5

Distinguished
Some displays can not support a higher refresh rate at a higher resolution, So at 1080p your display is limited to 30hz.
It is not your PC. It's just your display.

However if you're sure that your display DOES support 60hz 1080p, then go to AMD CCC.
-go to digital flat panels.
-HDTV support

-then select 1080p 60 from the list on the bottom. However the panel may still run at 30hz if not supported by the panel.

-good luck

gab_th

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2010

The thing is that the display has 1080p @ 60Hz as its recommended setting, but I can't get it to work that way, as it reverts to 30 Hz, and it doesn't function properly then. The screen looks awful and the elements, like icons and such, become incredibly small.

The problem is that your display is 1080i. That i means that it cannot handle 60hz at 1080, but instead it interleaves (updates every other horizontal line per refresh). You may have the option to set it to 1080i in Windows, but every time I've seen it, it is horribly blurry and not worth using.