Solution
I have a 144hz monitor. Should I set the cap to 144hz? Or I should leave some space? (EX. 134hz)
I wouldn't recommend using 144hz v-sync if the system can reach 144 because you are more likely to be below 144fps on average. You would be better off setting refresh rate below the highest average fps for smoother game-play. So if you can reach 144fps but are consistently below 140fps without v-sync, 120Hz v-sync would be better overall. You would just keep lowering the refresh rate based on your monitors specifications until you find a setting that is consistent and smooth. For my 144Hz monitor it would be 72/75/85/100/120.

Do not cap the framerate, it will cause more tearing (from experience). If you are able to achieve 144...

Giannis_Mag

Reputable
May 24, 2017
Do not cap the framerate, it will cause more tearing (from experience). If you are able to achieve 144 fps, turn vsync on. Probably your monitor has free sync technology. If you use an AMD GPU, then enable freesync from drivers and disable every other - sync or frame cap

Reactions: Aljonaticsss

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Do not cap the framerate, it will cause more tearing (from experience). If you are able to achieve 144 fps, turn vsync on. Probably your monitor has free sync technology. If you use an AMD GPU, then enable freesync from drivers and disable every other - sync or frame cap

Depends if they have Gsync/Freesync. If not, capping a couple frames below refresh + vsync reduces input lag.

Aljonaticsss

Reputable
Aug 1, 2019
Yes thank you. My monitor and GPU supports Freesync and G-Sync. I turn on V-Sync for some games that reaches or exceeds 144fps. On the other game that doesn't I only turn on the G-Sync feature.

I have a 144hz monitor. Should I set the cap to 144hz? Or I should leave some space? (EX. 134hz)
I wouldn't recommend using 144hz v-sync if the system can reach 144 because you are more likely to be below 144fps on average. You would be better off setting refresh rate below the highest average fps for smoother game-play. So if you can reach 144fps but are consistently below 140fps without v-sync, 120Hz v-sync would be better overall. You would just keep lowering the refresh rate based on your monitors specifications until you find a setting that is consistent and smooth. For my 144Hz monitor it would be 72/75/85/100/120.

Capping fps does not cause more screen tear. It will be just as much as if you had it uncapped because you are not synced with the monitors refresh rate. Sometimes, capping the fps 1-2 frames below or above the refresh rate can reduce screen tear as if you had v-sync enabled, but still won't eliminate it.

Solution