Question Refresh rates cause lines on screen

Sep 13, 2021
Lines start appearing on laptop screen and sometimes freezes it completely that it becomes unresponsive.

Hi.
If you can't already see, i once started up my laptop and these weird lines started appearing which at first wasn't as bad but overtime gets worse for some reason. I tried fixing it by changing the refresh rate to 144hz to 60hz, and it worked, but when i change the refresh rate back up to 144hz, lines start appearing and my screen sometimes totally freezes to the point where i have to hard shut down my laptop. This is happening for over 3 weeks and the only way i can fix it is to give up 144hz refresh rate, but is there a way to fix these lines appearing and freezing my screen without giving up my high refresh rate for gaming?

I have tried restarting the pc, reinstalling display and graphics drivers, changing refresh rates. Even changing refresh rates have a downside now, even if i lower my refresh rates, lines still appear on boot up but not when the desktop is loaded already, but when i do that theres a random chance that theres gonna be a faint black flickering on my screen which disappears in about an hour. My laptop is an ASUS TUF FX505DT.

Pls reply if you have a solution.
Changing display settings in NVIDIA Control Panel, AMD Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 and the windows display settings does nothing.
Video Laptop Screen <--- Here is the video of the display glitching.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
What version(not edition) of Windows 10 are you on? What BIOS version are you on for your laptop at the time of writing? Use DDU in Safe Mode to remove all your GPU drivers, then reinstall the chipset drivers first then install the Nvidia drivers. Both should be installed in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Use the latest AMD drivers from Asus support site, here, then use the latest chipset drivers from here and then install the Nvidia display drivers.

Sep 13, 2021
Hi.
Will try this. But i have tried reinstalling my display drivers but thanks for the suggestion. Sorry for 1 hour late reply
my version is windows 10 21H1 with latest updates as of writing and my
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. FX505DT.316, 28/01/2021 is my bios version.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2021
I tried the steps, it appears everywhere. The horizontal lines even appeared in safe mode and blocked half my screen so i couldn't do the safe mode thing. Will the steps still work even if im not in safe mode?

Sep 13, 2021
Is that sound coming from your laptop fans?
It's probably overheating.
Check temperatures, improve cooling, use a laptop cooling pad.
Hi.
I just put my laptop fans on full speed whenever i make it go under heavy workloads. The max temperature it can get is 93 degrees when doing cpu intensive tasks. Temperatures are fine i checked, under normal load its around 60-75 degrees but when under heavy load its around 80-93 degrees. 93 degrees is the limit and it doesnt go any higher than that.

Sep 13, 2021
What version(not edition) of Windows 10 are you on? What BIOS version are you on for your laptop at the time of writing? Use DDU in Safe Mode to remove all your GPU drivers, then reinstall the chipset drivers first then install the Nvidia drivers. Both should be installed in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Use the latest AMD drivers from Asus support site, here, then use the latest chipset drivers from here and then install the Nvidia display drivers.
Hi.
Will try this. But i have tried reinstalling my display drivers but thanks for the suggestion. Sorry for 1 hour late reply
my version is windows 10 21H1 with latest updates as of writing and my
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. FX505DT.316, 28/01/2021 is my bios version.

Sep 13, 2021

I tried the steps, it appears everywhere. The horizontal lines even appeared in safe mode and blocked half my screen so i couldn't do the safe mode thing. Will the steps you gave me still work even if im not in safe mode?