[SOLVED] Refurb 970 EVO or new Crucial P1?

Solution
I am not going to comment about performance. Instead, I urge you to contact Best Buy and determine if there is a manufacturer's warranty available. I know over at newegg the warranty for refurbished products is usually only one month. I do not know if it is the same at Best Buy. I would suspect it is similar to the newegg policy.

On top of that if the first owner already registered the ssd with Samsung there is another problem. Samsung will not recognize you as a legitimate owner.

EDIT - ^5 what USAFRet and others said They posted while I was typing. If only $15.00 more, then get the Samsung. You will not regret it.

USAFRet

Titan
Refurbished by who, exactly?
"Geek Squad® Certified Refurbished products "

hmmm....

What warranty does it come with?
  • Manufacturer's Warranty - Parts
    90 Days
  • Manufacturer's Warranty - Labor
    90 Days
------------------------
90 days?
If it were from Samsung - "5 years or 300 TB TBW"

Thats a hard pass for me.

And a new 500GB 970 EVO is only $15 more.
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-970-EVO-500GB-MZ-V7E500BW/dp/B07BN4NJ2J

I am not going to comment about performance. Instead, I urge you to contact Best Buy and determine if there is a manufacturer's warranty available. I know over at newegg the warranty for refurbished products is usually only one month. I do not know if it is the same at Best Buy. I would suspect it is similar to the newegg policy.

On top of that if the first owner already registered the ssd with Samsung there is another problem. Samsung will not recognize you as a legitimate owner.

EDIT - ^5 what USAFRet and others said They posted while I was typing. If only $15.00 more, then get the Samsung. You will not regret it.

Last edited:
Solution

Baumber

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2012
Refurbished by who, exactly?
"Geek Squad® Certified Refurbished products "

hmmm....

What warranty does it come with?
  • Manufacturer's Warranty - Parts
    90 Days
  • Manufacturer's Warranty - Labor
    90 Days
------------------------
90 days?
If it were from Samsung - "5 years or 300 TB TBW"

Thats a hard pass for me.

And a new 500GB 970 EVO is only $15 more.
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-970-EVO-500GB-MZ-V7E500BW/dp/B07BN4NJ2J

Okay sounds like I'll spend the extra $15 for the new ssd. Dumb question though, I currently have my os installed on a Samsung 850evo.

Can I just transfer the os to the new NVME drive without any problems or do I need a whole new install of windows in order to take advantage of the NVME interface?