Question refurb asus m3a78-em not booting xp disk

Apr 6, 2019
MB boots to bios, shows hd, dvd,usb, memory. It will boot from a win98 recovery disk to A:, any xp disk will not do anything, dvd spins for 10 sec and stops.Any ideas, loaded many refurbs with Xp, no problem, checked xp disk on win10 and it reads it.set boot sequence for all perip., shows atapi drive not compatable too? Any ideas? Thanks

My first guess is drivers. I notice the mobo has both IDE/PATA and SATA support. Which type of HDD drive are you trying to use? And which type of DVD drive? The problem these days is trying to find XP drivers. Microsoft changed the driver architecture in VISTA so XP will need XP drivers.

You might be better off trying to load Windows 7. My M4A78LT runs Win7 OK.

Apr 6, 2019
My first guess is drivers. I notice the mobo has both IDE/PATA and SATA support. Which type of HDD drive are you trying to use? And which type of DVD drive? The problem these days is trying to find XP drivers. Microsoft changed the driver architecture in VISTA so XP will need XP drivers.

You might be better off trying to load Windows 7. My M4A78LT runs Win7 OK.
Thanks for the comeback, I installed WD500gbHDD, Asus Optical drive, both are SATA, windows install disk is sp3. I have a laptop running same version of xp, anything I can copy from it to load drivers? Tried running install with ide cd drive connected, no luck, maybe I screwed up bios settings?