[SOLVED] Refurb Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSD - What tests should I run?

drewthebrave

Reputable
Aug 16, 2017
I got a deal on a refurbished Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSD for my new build. I'm preparing to assemble & install this weekend, and was curious which utilities I should use to scan & check the health of the drive. Thanks!

Solution
Further on a "refurb" SSD:
"SAMSUNG warrants to the purchaser of the Product in its original sealed packaging ("You”) that the Product is free from defects in material and workmanship, subject to the conditions stated herein "

"This warranty is provided only to You and is not transferable. "

This better be a GREAT deal, or 'refurb' direct from Samsung.

USAFRet

Titan
Further on a "refurb" SSD:
"SAMSUNG warrants to the purchaser of the Product in its original sealed packaging ("You”) that the Product is free from defects in material and workmanship, subject to the conditions stated herein "

"This warranty is provided only to You and is not transferable. "

This better be a GREAT deal, or 'refurb' direct from Samsung.

Solution

chrysalis

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2003
Full SMART test (is done in background so can use at same time), magician does support this now but samsung have feature locked out of older drives, if yours isnt supported, then boot a live linux and run it in that.

If SMART is good and the full test passes and magician confirms its a legit drive, I think you are good to go.

drewthebrave

Reputable
Aug 16, 2017
The drive just came in from BestBuy, but was the incorrect 500GB capacity. I'm sending it back for a refund and have already ordered a brand new 1TB drive from B&H Photo for $100. Sounds like most of the BestBuy reviews have stated that their drives show they were unused (probably by people who didn't know the difference between SATA and M.2) or otherwise nearly new with minimal usage. I'm guessing the BestBuy "refurb" process is simply check that there's an SSD in the box and tape it back up -- hence the mix-up on my refurb purchase.

When I ordered from BestBuy, the cheapest available price everywhere was $130, so the $85 refurb was a significant discount. At $100, the brand new drive from B&H is an easy decision and alleviates the concern of the refurb's lack of warranty.

TRENDING THREADS