[SOLVED] Refurbished Corsair TX850M PSU for $49.99... Too good to be true?

ProtoflareX

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
Planning a new rig at the moment, but the total of all of the parts I want ended up being... a little more than I would like it to be. As a result, I am looking to save money wherever possible. One potential saving opportunity I've found is with the PSU. I'm looking for an 850w PSU, and Amazon currently has refurbished Corsair TX850M PSUs avaialble for $49.99, whereas a new TX850m would run me around $99.99. I'm bothered by something, though; doesn't this seem a little too good to be true? Even if it's a refurbished product, doesn't half the price of a new model seem a little off? Corsair promises a one year warranty for all refurbished products, but that warranty would be rather meaningless if the PSU was faulty and toasted my entire system. At the same time, the money I'd be saving money is too enticing to ignore. What do you guys think? Is this a risk worth taking?

Planning a new rig at the moment, but the total of all of the parts I want ended up being... a little more than I would like it to be. As a result, I am looking to save money wherever possible. One potential saving opportunity I've found is with the PSU. I'm looking for an 850w PSU, and Amazon currently has refurbished Corsair TX850M PSUs avaialble for $49.99, whereas a new TX850m would run me around $99.99. I'm bothered by something, though; doesn't this seem a little too good to be true? Even if it's a refurbished product, doesn't half the price of a new model seem a little off? Corsair promises a one year warranty for all refurbished products, but that warranty would be rather meaningless if the PSU was faulty and toasted my entire system. At the same time, the money I'd be saving money is too enticing to ignore. What do you guys think? Is this a risk worth taking?

If you want and or need an 850W PSU get a new one, reburbs are questionable at best.

Post system specs.

ProtoflareX

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
Do you need 850 watt? If you only consume 500watt having a 650 watt psu would pull less from the wall than a 850 watt.

I probably should have mentioned this in the original post, but I'm buying this PSU for a rig I'm planning to build later this year that will have an AMD Zen 2 CPU as well as an NVIDIA RTX 2080 TI. I plan to overclock both. It's theorized that a 750w PSU would be ideal for that setup at stock settings, but as I mentioned, I plan to overclock, which is why I'm looking at 850w instead. So, to answer your question, I technically do not "need" 850w, but it is preferable.

I probably should have mentioned this in the original post, but I'm buying this PSU for a rig I'm planning to build later this year that will have an AMD Zen 2 CPU as well as an NVIDIA RTX 2080 TI. I plan to overclock both. It's theorized that a 750w PSU would be ideal for that setup at stock settings, but as I mentioned, I plan to overclock, which is why I'm looking at 850w instead. So, to answer your question, I technically do not "need" 850w, but it is preferable.

If that's what you are planning then don't get a reburb PSU.

Get a good high end NEW PSU for that system, don't cheap out on the most important part of the PC.

Especially with that expensive GPU you are planning, not worth the risk.

If Corsair get at least an RMX.

Seasonic Focus Plus or Prime Series, I would lean towards the Prime for that system however.

EVGA G2 or P2.

Reactions: ProtoflareX

ProtoflareX

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
If you have a system powerfull enough to draw 850 watts i wouldnt risk it with a refurb. I would buy an rm series at minimum if you want corsair

It doesn't have to be Corsair. I'm currently using a bronze rated EVGA PSU that's been running flawlessly for four years. My experience with it has made me partial toward the brand, and I originally intended to buy an EVGA G3 850w, but then I saw the price on that refurbed Corsair unit and had no choice but to take it into consideration, since a new G3 850w would run me about $119.99.

EDIT: The consensus seems to be that the risk with refurbed PSUs isn't worth it. Guess I'll bite the bullet and order a new G3 like I originally planned.

It doesn't have to be Corsair. I'm currently using a bronze rated EVGA PSU that's been running flawlessly for four years. My experience with it has made me partial toward the brand, and I originally intended to buy an EVGA G3 850w, but then I saw the price on that refurbed Corsair unit and had no choice but to take it into consideration, since a new G3 850w would run me about $119.99.

EDIT: The consensus seems to be that the risk with refurbed PSUs isn't worth it. Guess I'll bite the bullet and order a new G3 like I originally planned.

Yeah, it makes no since at all to put all that money into those high end parts then cheap out on the PSU. Something that can take out the whole machine if it goes or at the very least the $1,300 or more graphics card. And yes it does happen a lot.

Not very smart really.

The PSU is the most important part of the PC by far.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator

ProtoflareX

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
Made by Seasonic , only bronze , but a good deal.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: Antec - High Current Gamer 850 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $69.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-03 10:57 EST-0500

Antec HCG850 Bronze 850W Fully Modular,80 PLUS BRONZE,135mm DBB Fan, Full Japanese Heavy-Duty Caps, 5 Year Warranty

Now there's an idea, maybe I could save some money buy looking at new, bronze models.

Reactions: Banned by Net