Discussion Refurbished Dell laptop

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
I just received a nice Dell Latitude 5490 refurbished laptop from Amazon. It came with a sheet of paper with instructions on how to set it up and to eventually reclaim Win 10 Pro. I got as far as when it asked me to create a Microsoft account. The sheet went on to say I could skip that part if i so choose, but there was no option button "Skip". So I could create it just to get pass to the next problem where my mobile phone number is shown and asking for me to enter the password for it. Now, I never had a password for my phone, and why they are asking that has stumped me. I guess i have to create one just so i could get pass to the next obstacle. I tried to 'talk' to someone from Amazon and i was confronted with useless help. First i was connected to "Virtual help' and then finally someone in the Philipines with terrible English accent i could not make out what she was saying, except they seem to be pretaught to suggest a refund, which i was not asking for. I ask for them to transfer me over to someone stateside and they kept ignoring me. So here i have a well presented laptop, with no visible scars, just like new and i can't get to eventually install the OS. I cannot call Dell obviously and my only other choice would be the seller and there line was constantly busy. I took for granted that the laptop would have the OS preinstalled, like the good old days....this was my first 'new' pc in over 20 years, so now one has to go through all of this in order to get one's OS.

There used to be a "skip" option in earlier Win 10 builds but it has been removed for quite a long time. Nowadays for Home you have to unplug the internet then pick "I don't have internet" and "Continue with limited setup" while for your Pro it's "Offline account" and "Limited experience"

See if you can boot to safe mode and delete the MS account you made, then make a local account the proper way

Reactions: punkncat

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
There used to be a "skip" option in earlier Win 10 builds but it has been removed for quite a long time. Nowadays for Home you have to unplug the internet then pick "I don't have internet" and "Continue with limited setup" while for your Pro it's "Offline account" and "Limited experience"

See if you can boot to safe mode and delete the MS account you made, then make a local account the proper way
Sorry, your response has me at a disadvantage. I just don't understand. I do not get an option to disconnect the internet. How does one get to safe mode without the internet, and as for the following response from another member, I have no disc.

Unplugging the internet means physically pulling out the ethernet cord or turning off the wifi.

You cannot possibly expect Microsoft to include a "disconnect from the internet now to workaround our online account requirement" button in their installer because if they wanted to allow that, they would instead simply provide the option to create a local account instead of their cloud account while the internet is connected.

The easiest way to enter safe mode with the default Windows setup now that Microsoft has removed the F8 option (because this Windows is the most stable and secure ever and could never break) is to simply shut off the power while Windows is loading three times in a row. After the automatic repair, Safe Mode is found under Advanced Options and Troubleshoot.

If things ever get so mangled that a reinstall is in order:
You can make the correct installation media for free from any UEFI PC that you are allowed to run programs on, using your own 16GB or 32GB USB flash drive. Even if it's a locked-down library computer you should be able to download the .iso image and burn it to a blank disc, although nowadays Windows is so large that this option will require a blank double-layer disc and a DL capable DVD burner.

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
Unplugging the internet means physically pulling out the ethernet cord or turning off the wifi.

You cannot possibly expect Microsoft to include a "disconnect from the internet now to workaround our online account requirement" button in their installer because if they wanted to allow that, they would instead simply provide the option to create a local account instead of their cloud account while the internet is connected.

The easiest way to enter safe mode with the default Windows setup now that Microsoft has removed the F8 option (because this Windows is the most stable and secure ever and could never break) is to simply shut off the power while Windows is loading three times in a row. After the automatic repair, Safe Mode is found under Advanced Options and Troubleshoot.

If things ever get so mangled that a reinstall is in order:
You can make the correct installation media for free from any UEFI PC that you are allowed to run programs on, using your own 16GB or 32GB USB flash drive. Even if it's a locked-down library computer you should be able to download the .iso image and burn it to a blank disc, although nowadays Windows is so large that this option will require a blank double-layer disc and a DL capable DVD burner.
Tjank you BFG. Pardon me, if I presume that you are not familiar on how some refurbished laptops are sold, or me neither. When i opened the package there was a large sheet of paper instructing me how to eventually get to install Windows. First, I had to get the internet on, then it asked me for my Microsoft account, and if i don't have one, then create it. I had none. Then asked me for my mobile password, which i never had one. If i could not get pass those 2 entries, i could not go any further. I don't have any options to enter the Bios, and of course I have no OS . I do have a Media created disc only...and have failed numerous times to install win 10 on a desktop that has windows 7. I always get as far as 'hearing' Colanta's voice welcoming me to windows, but never being able to 'view' the OS. It seems to end right there...that was one of the reason why I bought this laptop. I was under the impression that it was preinstalled....my error, i should have asked. As far as I know, the laptop is completely vacant until i pass that instruction sheet info. I got as far as creating the Microsoft account and even created my mobile phone password and it keeps telling me that he password is wrong. How could it be wrong, when i never had a password for it in the first place?

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Tjank you BFG. Pardon me, if I presume that you are not familiar on how some refurbished laptops are sold, or me neither. When i opened the package there was a large sheet of paper instructing me how to eventually get to install Windows. First, I had to get the internet on, then it asked me for my Microsoft account, and if i don't have one, then create it. I had none. Then asked me for my mobile password, which i never had one. If i could not get pass those 2 entries, i could not go any further. I don't have any options to enter the Bios, and of course I have no OS . I do have a Media created disc only...and have failed numerous times to install win 10 on a desktop that has windows 7. I always get as far as 'hearing' Colanta's voice welcoming me to windows, but never being able to 'view' the OS. It seems to end right there...that was one of the reason why I bought this laptop. I was under the impression that it was preinstalled....my error, i should have asked. As far as I know, the laptop is completely vacant until i pass that instruction sheet info. I got as far as creating the Microsoft account and even created my mobile phone password and it keeps telling me that he password is wrong. How could it be wrong, when i never had a password for it in the first place?
If you heard Cortana, the operating system, Windows 10, IS installed.
Cortana does not exist in a vacuum.

A "microsoft account" does NOT have to be something@microsoft.com
You can use ANY email address for that. I use an otherwise seldom used gmail.

Right now, it is just trying to set up an account in the OS that is already installed.

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
If Win 10 is installed because i hear Cortana's voice, then why can't I view the system, itself???? Now, we are getting away from the gist of my main post.
As for Microsoft account, I did create it if you read my previous post. ...and still cannot get to the point of installing windows. Be aware not to get confused ..we are talking about 2 different situations. The Cortana bit happened on my desktop, not the refurbished laptop i just bought. Right now I am asking for help if possible with my recent purchase refurbished laptop.

Last edited:
Well at least your Windows 10 disc probably works (we don't know for sure as you likely only used it from the Win 7 desktop and didn't boot from it) and if you made it last year its build is probably even new enough to be able to update itself without manual intervention. But that laptop doesn't have an optical drive so you would need a USB DVD drive to use it.

As for the desktop, it's pretty clear Windows 10 default settings just don't like your GPU and monitor combination somehow. Perhaps it thinks DVI is the primary monitor but you've only got a TV attached via HDMI so it stays black until in the display settings you can make it primary or extend Windows to it. We can guess you are using some FM2 AMD chip with an IGP and that it worked fine in Windows 7, and that if you used any old discrete card (even one without any Windows 10 drivers) and attached the monitor to that instead, then you'd be able to see well enough to fix the problem with the black screen on the IGP.

But we can't know any of that for sure because you refused to answer any basic questions about the system so we don't even know what ports you are using or what monitor or CPU you have. When asked for basic specs in that thread, you answered "yes." Well if you answer Microsoft's demands for a login similarly, then it won't let you get very far.

Right now you have Windows 10 fully installed on both a desktop and a laptop and can't login to either of them. Yes, Windows was fully preinstalled on the laptop just without any user account set up--exactly the same way a brand new laptop is delivered. But with a brand new laptop you'd likely have a lot easier time getting the seller to walk you through the setup process.

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
Just for the record about my Desktop problem....with that same desktop, previously I had my first win 10, merely by being offered with updates...when Microsoft offered everyone free updates. So how come with the same inners existing in that desktop, i was using Win 10 nicely until my system crashed? MS config only shows Win 7 in boot tab. As for the laptop, like I said, I did create a Microsoft account, but being held back by adding a mobile password ( which I never had ) and it tells me that the password is wrong. How could something be wrong if it never existed?

As for the laptop, if Win 10 is installed...tell me how I can view it, with no Bios or preexisting OS..

If you had no BIOS or OS then it would not have POSTed and loaded the Windows 10 dialog box asking for a username and password

The problem seems to be you've used an existing account (as how else would it know that's linked to your phone number) and have forgotten the password

Either create a new account, or recover/reset the password from the old account

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
Just for the record about my Desktop problem....with that same desktop, previously I had my first win 10, merely by being offered with updates...when Microsoft offered everyone free updates. So how come with the same inners existing in that desktop, i was using Win 10 nicely until my system crashed? MS config only shows Win 7 in boot tab. As for the laptop, like I said, I did create a Microsoft account, but being held back by adding a mobile password ( which I never had ) and it tells me that the password is wrong. How could something be wrong if it never existed?

As for the laptop, if Win 10 is installed...tell me how I can view it, with no Bios or preexisting OS..
All I know as soon as i turn on the laptop, it starts with that dialog. OK, so i recreated Microsoft account and entered a password for my mobile phone ( again, I never had a password for my phone ) just so to try and get by to the next step and I get a message that the password is wrong. I repeat, how can it be wrong when it never existed in the first place? Perhaps I am behind in phone technolgoy, but i never heard of entering a password for a mobile phone. If I can't get by that dialog box then i see this is going to be a useless attempt on a laptop that gives me no other options to install windows. Are there any refurbished laptops that have the OS already installed? Can't afford a new one and yet, as i recall from some friend who did buy a new laptop, ran into the same type of dialog box in order to install windows, and he had to return it.

Last edited:
It's pretty clear that you have never turned off the laptop, which is the reason you cannot enter the BIOS or safe mode or boot Windows install media. Windows 10 does not shut off by simply pressing the power button, it only sleeps. That's why it's instantly resuming where it last was, at the Windows login dialog, and that certainly doesn't mean you have no BIOS or OS installed. You have to hold the power button down for >5 seconds to actually shut it off.

And you can repeat your claim that the account you have chosen never existed as many times as you like, but if that was true then it could not possibly know your phone number. You must have made an account in the past, with a password that you seem to have forgotten, and linked it to your phone number. And now seem to illogically believe that changing the password on your phone would somehow change the password of the account. Unless you are still using a discontinued Windows Phone, that is not the case. I mean, how could Microsoft possibly know what goes on inside an Android or Apple phone? What if you had linked a landline number to your Microsoft account, how would you put a password on that?

While Microsoft have decided to hide the procedure to create a local account in hopes of mining your personal data, it is still possible if you jump through some hoops, which are not going to be printed on any Quick Setup Guide piece of paper. But if you refuse or are unwilling to follow simple instructions, then Windows 10 is not for you.

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
It's pretty clear that you have never turned off the laptop, which is the reason you cannot enter the BIOS or safe mode or boot Windows install media. Windows 10 does not shut off by simply pressing the power button, it only sleeps. That's why it's instantly resuming where it last was, at the Windows login dialog, and that certainly doesn't mean you have no BIOS or OS installed. You have to hold the power button down for >5 seconds to actually shut it off.

And you can repeat your claim that the account you have chosen never existed as many times as you like, but if that was true then it could not possibly know your phone number. You must have made an account in the past, with a password that you seem to have forgotten, and linked it to your phone number. And now seem to illogically believe that changing the password on your phone would somehow change the password of the account. Unless you are still using a discontinued Windows Phone, that is not the case. I mean, how could Microsoft possibly know what goes on inside an Android or Apple phone? What if you had linked a landline number to your Microsoft account, how would you put a password on that?

While Microsoft have decided to hide the procedure to create a local account in hopes of mining your personal data, it is still possible if you jump through some hoops, which are not going to be printed on any Quick Setup Guide piece of paper. But if you refuse or are unwilling to follow simple instructions, then Windows 10 is not for you.

Well I seem to made some headway after reading from you to disconnect internet. I got pass most recent snags and finally got to see what appears to be win 10, when its asking me to update to Win 11, and if i don't like it, i could go back to win 10 within 10 days. So i said OK and now came another snag...it gave me a one drive error. It couldn't find a GD132.dll Reinstall program may fix Problem. ...then it follows with an OK button. I did not go any further. BTW, at what stage do i get to reconnect internet? This is my first attempt of going through this installing windows, and it was intimidating for this senior of 94 years. I'n not looking for excuses if it seems I ignore some of your suggestions, it is not done intentionally. I saw a glimmer of hope when i saw the familiar icons at the bottom of the screen . As for the 1 drive error...i don't care about having it or not, but again the screen just has an OK button. If i press on that, then i assume 'pgm' would be reinstalled, meaning Win 10?

Last edited: