Question Refurbished PC not recognizing optical or HDD...except when it does? HALP

Jan 9, 2020
I recently purchased a refurbished HP Pavillion p6320y. There is no operating system installed so I planned to install kubuntu. Immediately there was a problem--the computer could both POST and enter BIOS, but would not recognize the hard drive, which was plugged in, powered on, and spinning. After rebooting a couple of times, the optical drive disappeared too, even though it was clearly busy reading the Linux install disc. I tried again later, bored out of my mind, and was astonished to find that the PC now recognized both drives. I thought, now I can install the OS!

It successfully loaded the install disc. And that was as far as it got. After I had chosen from the menu screen, everything seemed to just hang. I left it and had dinner, came back, no change. I rebooted, no drives were found.

This has gone on for a few days now. Every so often I try booting the machine again, and on the rare occasion that it reads the drives, it seems to forget about them very quickly. I've tried switching SATA ports, I've made absolutely sure all the cables are tight. I don't know what else to do and I need help. What could be causing this? Since it won't read the optical drive, I can't even live boot with the disc.

Last edited: