[SOLVED] Refurbished PSUs

lottaphotos4

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2013
My initial reaction would be that I wouldn't want one.
Don't know why it was refurbished.
Don't know if they fixed the issue or not.
Don't know if the original issue caused other problems that were not fixed during refurbishment.

BUT....

That being said, just wondering if anybody had any thoughts on the topic.

I have a Corsir HXI 750 that (may) be going bad (see seperate posting/question), but it looks like they either aren't making them anymore, or there are just none available (new) anywhere.
Actually, there is one. It's three times list price, and would ship from Europe.

There are, however, some refurbished ones available.

Both directly from Corsair, as well as from Amazon, etc.

So....what are your thoughts, what would your confidence factor be on getting one?
(I guess I would lean towards buying a refurbished until directly from Corsair, if that would mean anything to your consideration.

I generally like to stick with what I know has been working, so if the PSU that I have is going, I'd prefer to replace with an identical until if it would make sense.

So,....does it?

Thank you for your thoughts.

Solution
For a long term purchase, like a psu, buy a new unit with a 7 to 10 year warranty.

Refurbished units are likely to be units that were returned for various reasons.
Not necessarily for defects.
If the refurb is done by the manufacturer, it likely consists of testing and repackaging.
If in a budget constraint, it may be ok, but there are usually better places to conserve budget.

In terms of replacing a Corsir HXI 750 , I would buy a newer gen product that has had the advantage of more development and may be better optimized for current technologies.
And, if 750W is what you think you need, consider 850w to handle some of the strongest graphics cards.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
My initial reaction would be that I wouldn't want one.
Don't know why it was refurbished.
Don't know if they fixed the issue or not.
Don't know if the original issue caused other problems that were not fixed during refurbishment.

BUT....

That being said, just wondering if anybody had any thoughts on the topic.

I have a Corsir HXI 750 that (may) be going bad (see seperate posting/question), but it looks like they either aren't making them anymore, or there are just none available (new) anywhere.
Actually, there is one. It's three times list price, and would ship from Europe.

There are, however, some refurbished ones available.

Both directly from Corsair, as well as from Amazon, etc.

So....what are your thoughts, what would your confidence factor be on getting one?
(I guess I would lean towards buying a refurbished until directly from Corsair, if that would mean anything to your consideration.

I generally like to stick with what I know has been working, so if the PSU that I have is going, I'd prefer to replace with an identical until if it would make sense.

So,....does it?

Thank you for your thoughts.
My answers to this will never change, buy new not refurbished, used, or open box.

What is the warranty period for a certified refurbished product?
Corsair certified refurbished products purchased as a standalone product have a 90-day, replacement-only warranty.
Certified refurbished products given as a warranty replacement either have a warranty period equal to the remaining time on the original purchase’s warranty or 30 days, whichever is higher.

https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360041757452-Corsair-certified-refurbished-products-FAQ

For a long term purchase, like a psu, buy a new unit with a 7 to 10 year warranty.

Refurbished units are likely to be units that were returned for various reasons.
Not necessarily for defects.
If the refurb is done by the manufacturer, it likely consists of testing and repackaging.
If in a budget constraint, it may be ok, but there are usually better places to conserve budget.

In terms of replacing a Corsir HXI 750 , I would buy a newer gen product that has had the advantage of more development and may be better optimized for current technologies.
And, if 750W is what you think you need, consider 850w to handle some of the strongest graphics cards.

Solution

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Corsair's new RM750x units are quite decent.

I have purchased and utilized refurbished PSU, in particular for budget based systems, or repairs where the customer didn't want to spend "real" money on an older system (etc.) I try to target something like 50% of the rated output of the refurbished unit.
I would not consider using a refurb for a new, or costly system. Too much risk.

lottaphotos4

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2013
Thank you to all of you for taking a minute to reply.
-sizzling, I think it's a 10 year warrantee, but I bought from NewEgg which has a 3 year return window, so not I have to talk too Corsair
-Zerk2012 your answer and my gut feeling are in agreement. Short of people saying "No, man, you'll be fine" getting a refurbished PSU was not really ringing my warm-fuzzy bell.
-geofelt, we're singing same tune, was leaning towards new, and newer build, between 750 and 850, thank you
-punkncat, appreciate confirming my gut feeling, as well as what the other replies said.

My gut feeling was to get something new between 750 and 850, and your replies all back that up, so thank you again.