Refurbished Seasonic PSU part #?

phdibart

Reputable
Nov 21, 2018
I recently RMA'd my Seasonic SSR-650FM PSU. The replacement I got came with a packing slip that has part number R-SSR-650FM. I'm very curious about the leading R in the part number. Do any of you know if this means it's a refurbished part, or does this simply indicate an RMA or Replacement part? The box containing the PSU has the part number without the R, but I don't know if that means anything. The packaging is not retail, as I received just a replacement PSU, not the bag and everything else.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
That makes sense. Its a new unit, they just package it differently (since you already have the other things from the first unit).

phdibart

Reputable
Nov 21, 2018
OK, I got an answer. I first asked why the part numbers were different. This was the emailed response:

"Sorry for the confusion, the R in R-SSR-650FM stands for "Replacement". its basically a brand new PSU which is made specifically for RMA's. They are both SSR-650FM. Hope that address's your concern. If you have any other questions, please let us know anytime."

I was still a little skeptical because the person said the PSUs are "basically" the same. So I directly asked if the R in the part number meant is was refurbished, and if not, if they could confirm that is was exactly the same PSU made with exactly the same internal components. The response was:

"Sorry for the confusion, let me see if i can explain this a bit better. These are brand new units that are not boxed with retail packaging, nor does it come with any cables or accessories. This is what i meant by saying they are specifically made for RMA replacements. they are all brand new units which are all made and assembled in the same factory as retail units with exactly the same internal components.

There is literally no difference between this power supply as the ones you would find in retail other than it is missing the retail packaging and peripheral cables/accessories.

Hope that clarifies it for you. let me know if you have any other concerns. Have a nice day!"

And there you have it, it's the same PSU.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
What does the psu label say? I deal with many packing/shipping labels, and most times what's listed is different from the package, simply because there's extra info added to the packing slip. That extra info can be anything from manufacturing dates, plants or codes that have nothing to do with the packaging or contents and is only used for internal purposes.

phdibart

Reputable
Nov 21, 2018
Karadjgne, while I am well aware shipping labels can contain extraneous information, I am also skeptical of RMA parts I receive with an extra "R" in the model number in an industry with an abundance of refurbished parts.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
How true that is. But fortunately doesn't apply to Seasonic. It's actually cheaper for them to just send a brand new unit off the line than it is to have a tech diagnose the issue, repair it, test it and ship it back. Plus side is its brand spanking new unit, no major hoops to jump through etc. Really looks good for Seasonic to stand by their warranty without argument.

TRENDING THREADS