Refurbished video card

4freedomssake

Honorable
Oct 30, 2017
I’ve been looking into a purchasing a video card for a while. But for all of us the pricing is ridiculous. Have any of you purchased a refurbished GPU from a reputable source (Newegg etc)? How was your experience?

Solution
i've not had any issues with refurb cards. they are usually gone over by the company that makes it and then re-certified to be in working order. they usually have a warranty included so there is really no risk involved with buying them. great way to save some money or to push your budget into a higher level card.

if it does not have a warranty attached by the company then i would avoid it. if they won't back their work, no reason to trust them. keep in mind quite often when you buy a new card and have to have it serviced, you often get a refurb back anyway.....

i have also bought open box cards from newegg from time to time but many shy away from them as they often come without all the fluff inside the box like manuals, driver disks...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i've not had any issues with refurb cards. they are usually gone over by the company that makes it and then re-certified to be in working order. they usually have a warranty included so there is really no risk involved with buying them. great way to save some money or to push your budget into a higher level card.

if it does not have a warranty attached by the company then i would avoid it. if they won't back their work, no reason to trust them. keep in mind quite often when you buy a new card and have to have it serviced, you often get a refurb back anyway.....

i have also bought open box cards from newegg from time to time but many shy away from them as they often come without all the fluff inside the box like manuals, driver disks and things like stickers and bonus cables etc. the cards work fine but you'll have to go get your own drivers and such.

Solution

racksmith101

Respectable
I bought an xfx6870 refurbished with a years warranty from a UK company ( now sadly gone) about 6 years ago , and it's still going strong in a system that I passed onto my son and now onto a friend. As long as it's a reputable company and with a decent warranty then you should be ok.