[SOLVED] Regarding 5800X vs Intel

Daniel Youssef

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
Here are my specs: cpu i7-8700 3.2ghz - 4.6, 1x16GB ballistix Ram (2666mhz), gpu: 3060 Ti and MB: B360 Gaming 3 wifi.

Now I should for a game like warzone be getting at-least 100-120 fps with settings going high too, but instead I'm on the lowest settings and getting frames ranging from 80 fps to 70, sometimes it goes 90 and higher but only for a fraction of a second. My friend on the other hand has a 3600 Ryzen CPU with much much weaker GPU than mine and yet having high settings with 100-120 fps constant, so my question here is should I be switching to Ryzen? is this a difference in power? my frames are not consistent at all in WZ and I feel like the performance is not that good, although it was said that the 8700 was one of the best CPU's in its gen and I don't believe it's too old?

Solution
Your processors both have 12 processing threads and the same single thread performance.
One difference I see is that your 1 x 16gb ram is using single channel which will not let the 8700 run to it's full potential.
I7-8700 passmark rating is 13078/2674. The second number is single thread performance which is what most games need most.
R5-3600 rating is 17850/2673.
My reading shows warzone to not need more than about 6 threads:

What are the rest of your specs?
I doubt it would be worthwhile to replace your ram.

Is this just a friend to friend comparison, or, do you need a big cpu boost?

Your title indicated an interest in the...

Lutfij

Titan
As far as system's specs are concerned, you should list them like so;
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? As for the OS, if you're on Windows 10, what version(not edition) are you on?

If your OS, drivers and BIOS are not pending updates and you don't have any inherent issue with your PSU and/or the OS, you shouldn't be seeing dips in game performance.

Did you use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers then manually reinstalling the latest GPU driver from Nvidia in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Adminsitrator?

Your processors both have 12 processing threads and the same single thread performance.
One difference I see is that your 1 x 16gb ram is using single channel which will not let the 8700 run to it's full potential.
I7-8700 passmark rating is 13078/2674. The second number is single thread performance which is what most games need most.

Your title indicated an interest in the 5800X. $386 on newegg.
Such would be a big boost when paired with fast dual channel ram.
Ryzen depends on fast ram, think dual channel 3600 speed.
Passmark rating for 16 threads is 28478/3495.

I think a better alternative it the lower priced I5-12600K. $320 on newegg.
10 threads and a rating of 24910/4094
Intel does not particularly depend on ram speed so you could try your single channel stick.

Solution
With similar other components, a 3600 and 8700 should be roughly on par. A 5800x would be faster than both by a decent margin.

In your case, a stick of ram can reduce performance noticably and can introduce stutter.

Additionally, what cooler are you using? The stock cooler will cause the CPU to run hot and downclock, reducing performance.

Daniel Youssef

Distinguished
May 24, 2013

Your title indicated an interest in the 5800X. $386 on newegg.
Such would be a big boost when paired with fast dual channel ram.
Ryzen depends on fast ram, think dual channel 3600 speed.
Passmark rating for 16 threads is 28478/3495.

I think a better alternative it the lower priced I5-12600K. $320 on newegg.
10 threads and a rating of 24910/4094
Intel does not particularly depend on ram speed so you could try your single channel stick.
It is a friend to friend comparison to determine if I need to go for a newer CPU if my CPU is not sufficient to run games decently atm, so what's holding me back is because of a single stick of ram instead of Dual? would adding another ram do me any good? most likely I'll get another 1x16 which would arguably be an overkill, I was just wondering about the 5800X because it's incredibly fast as I've heard but again, when I was looking up Intel vs AMD CPUs, the 5800X is on par with intel i7-11700K + the intel processor is even cheaper, so in that case IF I'd need to upgrade what should my choice be? the 5800X? am I missing something? because I have not tried AMD before, don't know about its performances...etc but I've been hearing that they're smashing Intel for the past 4 years.

CPU: intel i7-8700 3.2ghz-4.6ghz
Motherboard: Gigabyte B360 Gaming 3 Wifi
Ram: 1x16 crucial ballistix (3200Mhz but runs at 2666mhz because the CPU doesn't support faster frequency)
SSD/HDD: 1x M.2 (XPG GAMMIX S11 Pro, 512gb), 1x SSD(Crucial 250gb), 2x HDD( 1 western digital, 1TB Speed: 5,400RPM, 1x 2TB Seagate)
GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti Gaming X Trio
PSU: Cooler Master 750W (not sure bronze/silver, Non-modular)
Chassis: Bitfenix Nova Mesh TG Black

To answer your previous supply, first of all sorry for not listing them correctly, second I might not be able to exactly add the model of my PSU but its a 750W CoolerMaster (bronze I believe-silver?) and it's been with me for maybe a year or more

With similar other components, a 3600 and 8700 should be roughly on par. A 5800x would be faster than both by a decent margin.

In your case, a stick of ram can reduce performance noticably and can introduce stutter.

Additionally, what cooler are you using? The stock cooler will cause the CPU to run hot and downclock, reducing performance.
I've switched from the stock cooler to thermaltake Liquid cooler (Thermaletake Water 3.0 Performer C 120mm AIO Liquid cooling)

Last edited: