regarding an old post

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Regarding closed topic: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/251587-45-password-expires-user-account-trough-user

I'm using this solution as a professional as well. I'm not sure why best of media is promoting the use of their forums and at the same time don't want it used for fear of publicity, but I can tell you I'm using this solution to deploy a standalone computer system setup from sccm 2012.

Just like a kitchen knife, knowledge can be used for good or bad depending on the user. If Best of media doesn't want to sell knives, they shouldn't open an ikea.

Old posts get semi-automatically closed in some sections - I'm not clear on the exact mechanics of this, but it happens. Pretty sure that's what happened there.

Nothing in that post was troublesome, but it's a relatively short hop from 'make the password never expire' to being able to do that without your IT staff's permissions, or other issues.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I am aware of that. But my quarrel isn't with that. It's with the fact that best of media wants to be the judge of how information is being used. It's not a big issue to me as I've largely abandoned the forums after what I perceive as a slow but steady decline in quality, but I still want to point out that I think it shouldn't be part of their agenda to play god.
That being said, this is their forum. They bought it, so they can do as they please with it. I just don't agree, and obviously nobody but the original moderator did to a sufficient extend to become involved.

Pretty much all media and communities have a limit on what they're willing to host. Ours may be a little lower than others, but to some degree you need that for mass market appeal.

No password hacking/cracking is to be discussed here so as long as you don't do that this thread can remain.
Sounds pretty reasonable, and I don't think the thread was closed because of it being to close to the edge. More that we dislike old stuff being necroed.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
Thread was closed two and half years after it was started because it was necroed. We do that for most old threads that get dredged up. We do have strict rules on password related issues for legal reasons. Thread was left open and undeleted because it skirted those rules but did not violate them. Nobody was trying to control how that information was used. We do try to control what gets posted, but all of that is outlined in the forum's F.A.Q. and Terms of Use which all users agree to by posting in the forums. That's not playing God, that's covering our behinds from potential legal spats and keeping the forums and community a wholesome place.

Also, its not so much Best of Media making the decision to close the thread as it is one of the mods.
The closest we have to a BoM representative in the mod team is Jpishgar and Titillating above, who both run a fairly hands-off style.

If we really wanted to censor that information, we could do far more than close an inactive thread.

TRENDING THREADS