[SOLVED] Regarding cloning

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
This is my motherboard

Super Micro
C7H270-CG-ML

I am planning to get Kingston A2000 which I believe my motherboard is compatible with. Thing is, I want to clone it and I only want to clone just the C drive. Problem is that my Hard drive has both C and D drive and when I'm using AMOEI Backupper, It shows both C and D drive.

Is there a way to just clone only the C Drive? And from this motherboard, how can I make it boot from the M.2 instead of the Harddrive as the options seem confusing.

Solution
Check BIOS for fast boot option. Make sure, it is disabled.

BTW - how long did you wait on "black screen", when booted from cloned drive?

If nothing works, then redo cloning.

Lutfij

Titan
Please don't clone your OS. You're advised to reinstall the OS on your new SSD. You should arm yourself with a bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools and a 16GB pen drive. You can then proceed to reinstall your OS onto the new SSD. As an added measure, I'd advise that you make sure your BISO is up to date prior to dropping in the SSD.

IMHO, the Kingston drives are something I'd stay away from due to reliability issues. Can you get a Crucial or Samsung or Adata SSD?

Is there a way to just clone only the C Drive?
Can you show screenshot from Disk Management?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

General idea is
  • target drive has to be partitioned in same partitioning scheme as source drive (MBR or GPT),
  • clone bootloader partition and C: partition to target drive,
  • after clone is done, physically disconnect source drive and boot system with target drive alone (change boot options in BIOS accordingly).
You can do cloning /partition copying with Minitool Partition Wizard free.

@Lutfij seems to be afraid of cloning process. It's not such a scary thing. Works quite well, if done properly. ;)

This is my motherboard

Super Micro
C7H270-CG-ML

I am planning to get Kingston A2000 which I believe my motherboard is compatible with. Thing is, I want to clone it and I only want to clone just the C drive. Problem is that my Hard drive has both C and D drive and when I'm using AMOEI Backupper, It shows both C and D drive.

Is there a way to just clone only the C Drive? And from this motherboard, how can I make it boot from the M.2 instead of the Harddrive as the options seem confusing.
My version of backupper free does not allow a system clone for that you need the paid version.
I suspect you will need more than a clone of the C partition if you expect the ssd to be able to boot without the hdd attached.
Perhaps look for a different clone util.

USAFRet

Titan
This is my motherboard

Super Micro
C7H270-CG-ML

Please show us a screencap of your Disk Management window.

What size is the Kingston?
(Personally, I would buy some else besides a Kingston)

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
IMHO, the Kingston drives are something I'd stay away from due to reliability issues. Can you get a Crucial or Samsung or Adata SSD?

Uhh..I thought Tom's Hardware gave a solid recommendation with Kingston A2000 and said that the Crucial is mediocre. I could go with Samsung and Adata(You mean XPG GAMMIX S5 ?)

But those are a bit steep and I'm not sure if I can get the genuine product for that.

Can you show screenshot from Disk Management?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

General idea is
  • target drive has to be partitioned in same partitioning scheme as source drive (MBR or GPT),
  • clone bootloader partition and C: partition to target drive,
  • after clone is done, physically disconnect source drive and boot system with target drive alone (change boot options in BIOS accordingly).
You can do cloning /partition copying with Minitool Partition Wizard free.

@Lutfij seems to be afraid of cloning process. It's not such a scary thing. Works quite well, if done properly. ;)

View: https://imgur.com/dk9S5nY

View: https://imgur.com/7DbENWY

EDIT: Ah my apologies...I missed that you meant BIOS. Here's the disk management

View: https://imgur.com/Lq4r4Xu

View: https://imgur.com/3GX1Sh6

View: https://imgur.com/rz1MygF

View: https://imgur.com/JKuVmnX

View: https://imgur.com/s1Nr4gv

I wasn't sure which one is important so I took what I assume would be important. Please let me know if you need anything more. I've yet to get the SSD btw so this is me just asking to prepare the steps needed.

And I'm kinda confused on how cloning is done. The videos I watched don't mention to physically remove the hard disk. Why would you advise that in this case?

But assuming I go with reinstalling windows through the SSD, how can i do it if I don't have a product key but a digital license?

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
And I'm kinda confused on how cloning is done. The videos I watched don't mention to physically remove the hard disk. Why would you advise that in this case?
Once we see some more info on your system, detailed clone steps can be supplied.
Removal of all other drives is to remove the possibility of a mistake.
"Oh I'll be careful" often turns into "Oops".

Disk Management, from within Windows.
Right click the Start button (bottom left)
Select Disk Management

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Once we see some more info on your system, detailed clone steps can be supplied.
Removal of all other drives is to remove the possibility of a mistake.
"Oh I'll be careful" often turns into "Oops".

Disk Management, from within Windows.
Right click the Start button (bottom left)
Select Disk Management

I already posted it. But I'll post it again

View: https://imgur.com/Lq4r4Xu

What size is the Kingston?
(Personally, I would buy some else besides a Kingston)

The size is 1 TB. Specifically, it is Kingston A2000 . Do you have any better alternatives in mind? I did think about getting Western Digital SN550 but the problem is that I'm told there's a china product that doesn't read at 2400MB/s.

Last edited:
Uhh..I thought Tom's Hardware gave a solid recommendation with Kingston A2000 and said that the Crucial is mediocre. I could go with Samsung and Adata(You mean XPG GAMMIX S5 ?)
Kingston has some of worst SSD products - namely A400 series.
A2000 is better, but because of A400 people just stay away from Kingston SSDs completely.
And I'm kinda confused on how cloning is done.
Partition target drive in MBR.
Clone 500MB system partition and C: partition. Bootloader partition (500MB) has to be made active, or it's not bootable.
Physically disconnect source drive.
Boot with target drive alone.
The videos I watched don't mention to physically remove the hard disk. Why would you advise that in this case?
Drive letters get messed up, if you don't do that. And cloning fails.
Then you either redo cloning or have to edit registry in offline mode (not overly complicated but tricky).
But assuming I go with reinstalling windows through the SSD, how can i do it if I don't have a product key but a digital license?
Just reinstall. Windows gets activated once you connect to internet.

Last edited:

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Kingston has some of worst SSD products - namely A400 series.
A2000 is better, but because of A400 people just stay away from Kingston SSDs completely.

Oh I see...guess you win some and lose some

Partition target drive in MBR.
Clone 500MB system partition and C: partition.
Physically disconnect source drive.
Boot with target drive alone.

Wait a sec..so I don't have to do anything in the BIOS? I just do the cloning, and then remove the hard drive and boot again?

Just reinstall. Windows gets activated once you connect to internet.

Ok so how would I tell windows to install it in the SSD? Also, if anything happens to the SSD like it crashing, what would I do then?

Wait a sec..so I don't have to do anything in the BIOS? I just do the cloning, and then remove the hard drive and boot again?
Well - you have to check boot priority in BIOS to be appropriate.
Ok so how would I tell windows to install it in the SSD? Also, if anything happens to the SSD like it crashing, what would I do then?
If you decide to do install, then have only single drive connected during install.

Crashing? Then you have to explore/diagnose and find out, why it crashed.
That doesn't happen often. Could be because unstable memory overclock or something similar.

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Well - you have to check boot priority in BIOS to be appropriate.

If you decide to do install, then have only single drive connected during install.

Crashing? Then you have to explore/diagnose and find out, why it crashed.
That doesn't happen often. Could be because unstable memory overclock or something similar.

Yeah guess I'll do cloning then. Reinstalling is gonna be a hassle. :/

It's not about being scared, it's about different drivers, OP has a sata boot drive and is going to clone to a M.2 drive, those two do not use the same drivers, it might still work but it's always cleaner to do a fresh install.
I guess there is no harm in trying since the original drive will still be there, at least he should keep it untouched until he is sure that everything is ok.

It's not about being scared, it's about different drivers, OP has a sata boot drive and is going to clone to a M.2 drive, those two do not use the same drivers
You install nvme drive first.
Check if it is being recognized in windows. If not, then install nvme drivers.
Perform cloning after drivers already installed.

BTW - you can't clone to nvme drive, if nvme drivers are not installed already.
So - "drivers issue" doesn't really exist.

Last edited:
So yeah just wondering but how do I clone just the C: and system from Minitoll Partition Wizard? @SkyNetRising
Before continuing, make sure target drive is partitioned in MBR partition scheme.
Select partition to copy,
choose destination (unallocated space),
press finish.
Do that for bootloader first (500MB partition), then do that for C: partition.
Set bootloader partition as active.

Then press apply to apply changes.
Cloning part done.

Last edited:

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Before continuing, make sure target drive is partitioned in MBR partition scheme.
Select partition to copy,
choose destination (unallocated space),
press finish.
Do that for bootloader first (500MB partition), then do that for C: partition.
Set bootloader partition as active.

Then press apply to apply changes.
Cloning part done.

While I appreciate your help, I would like it if you can elaborate a bit on the steps to clone specific parts from the Minitool Partition Wizard so that I don't screw up. The thing that concerns me is that the Minitool Partition doesn't mention clone anywhere but copy. Is that the same thing?

And to just copy the system and Local Disk C: I should select "Copy Partition"? for each one?

And when I get the SSD, do I first have to use the disk management inorder to partition the SSD to MBR or does Minitool offer this as well?

The thing that concerns me is that the Minitool Partition doesn't mention clone anywhere but copy. Is that the same thing?
Clone partition and copy partition - is the same thing.
Cloning usually refers to cloning entire disk (making exact copy).
And to just copy the system and Local Disk C: I should select "Copy Partition"? for each one?
Yes
And when I get the SSD, do I first have to use the disk management in order to partition the SSD to MBR or does Minitool offer this as well?
You can do that in disk management as well in minitool.

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
@SkyNetRising

Ok first of Minitool isn't free...so I had to instead go for macrium reflect 7... ;/

Secondly, I'm struggling to convert it to MBR after first converting it, then creating a new volume only to end up unallocating it again because the tool requires it to be unallocated...

So now I can't tell if its MBR and how do I clone just C Drive in Macrium?

EDIT: Ok, I can find out that the M.2 drive is in MBR under volumes from Disk Management tool. But I still can't figure out whether only C Drive cloning is accurate from Macrium.

View: https://imgur.com/rqERj50

What is that 3rd one that says none? And is it needed for C drive I can't tell...

Last edited:
Ok first of Minitool isn't free...so I had to instead go for macrium reflect 7... ;/
Minitool partition wizard free - is free. Even product name says - "FREE".
https://www.minitool.com/partition-manager/partition-wizard-home.html

They may have removed some functionality in latest free version. Try Partition Wizard free 9.0 - then.

What is that 3rd one that says none? And is it needed for C drive I can't tell...
That is recovery partition. Not really necessary.

Last edited:

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Minitool partition wizard free - is free. Even product name says - "FREE".
https://www.minitool.com/partition-manager/partition-wizard-home.html

When I attempted the clone, it shows a plan and it doesn't do it free...so idk.

Anyways, I cloned the drive through Macrium but it never boots from the M.2 slot. I mean windows 10 logo does show up but it ends in that black screen of death even if I change the bios from Legacy to UEFI. Any idea what the issue is?

View: https://imgur.com/0pcLSrA

View: https://imgur.com/fYYGfKc

Before doing the cloning, I reduced the Local Disk C volume and then arranged the unallocated space from C drive to the last order but I did clone the system and Local disk C though.