Regarding Gigabyte GeForce GV-N710D3-2GL 2GB PCI-Express Graphics Card

dipangkarnhk

Prominent
Oct 2, 2017
My CPU is an Intel(R) Pentium(R)4 CPU 2.80GHz 2.79 GHz, Installed Memory 1.50 GB. It has 4 Pci slots.
Everything runs perfectly with Windows XP Professional SP3 on it.
But after i installed Windows 7 SP1, i am not satisfied with the Display & the resolution. Everything slowed down.
So i am thinking of Upgrading my RAM with 2 more GB, and also thinking of buying this Graphic Card -----
Gigabyte GeForce GV-N710D3-2GL 2GB PCI-Express Graphics Card.
Now the Question is Will my machine support this graphic card, and also will my display improve.. ???
Thanks for being with me on this question.

Solution
Yes, without a PCIe slot on your mobo, that graphics card can't be connected.

Regarding a PCI card ... judging from the PCIe model you chose and mentioned in this thread's title I guess your objective is not having a graphics card fit for gaming, but rather just a way to fix your resolution issue.
I can't promise you that the installation of a dedicated graphics card will improve your resolution under Windows 7, but you can get a wide variety of those cards on Ebay and other similar platforms, costing from 15 dollars upwards.
Just enter "graphics card PCI" on StartPage or Google.

Regarding your memory: Buying additional RAM isn't guaranteed to work, even if you manage to get a module by the same manufacturer, with the exact same...

gaius_iulius

Notable
Sep 6, 2017
If your mobo only offers PCI slots, you can't install that graphics card ... it needs a PCIe slot.

Adding RAM is a lottery, even if you choose the same brand and type ... there is no guarantee the RAM sticks will work together, unless purchased together, as a kit.

Which motherboard do you have, exactly?

dipangkarnhk

Prominent
Oct 2, 2017

Hi, thanks for the fast reply.
My Motherboard Name is Intel D865GKD

gaius_iulius

Notable
Sep 6, 2017

Hmmm, that motherboard can't be found on the Intel webside.
It appears to be some sort of proprietary mobo.

Is that an old IBM PC or laptop?

dipangkarnhk

Prominent
Oct 2, 2017

Yes it's an old IBM PC which works better than many new one if Windows XP is used.
The trouble started with windows 7
It's an IBM Thinkpad.
I don't know why intel removed that from their database.
I had a hard time finding out a Graphic Driver for it, until i found a compatible vista driver for it :(

dipangkarnhk

Prominent
Oct 2, 2017
I rechecked the motherboard today. It says 3 PCI Slots. So i don't think that this PCI-e graphic card will work on it. :(
I am trying to find a PCI Graphic card that will work in my machine, any recommendation ?

gaius_iulius

Notable
Sep 6, 2017
Yes, without a PCIe slot on your mobo, that graphics card can't be connected.

Regarding a PCI card ... judging from the PCIe model you chose and mentioned in this thread's title I guess your objective is not having a graphics card fit for gaming, but rather just a way to fix your resolution issue.
I can't promise you that the installation of a dedicated graphics card will improve your resolution under Windows 7, but you can get a wide variety of those cards on Ebay and other similar platforms, costing from 15 dollars upwards.
Just enter "graphics card PCI" on StartPage or Google.

Regarding your memory: Buying additional RAM isn't guaranteed to work, even if you manage to get a module by the same manufacturer, with the exact same specifications.
Since you only need 4GB, and since it is probably DDR2 RAM, which should be cheap to get, I'd advise you to completely remove the RAM you have in your machine now and buy either a module of 4GB, or 2 modules of 2GB each (if you do that, buy 2x2GB as a Kit, not just 2 modules!). That way, it is guaranteed to work.

Before you buy the RAM, you must check the specifications of your mobo and your CPU, to determine how much maximum RAM is supported, and which type (DDR2, DDR3 etc) and frequencies (800, 1333, 1600 etc) are required.
You don't want to waste your money, buying incompatible memory modules.

In your last post you said "It's an old PC", but then you named it a "Thinkpad", which I believe is a laptop.
This is important for your choice of memory module, too ... a PC requires DIMM modules, a laptop needs SODIMM sticks.
Getting those mixed up will leave you with useless modules, because they won't physically fit in your machine.

Cheers,
Gaius

Solution