regarding liquid cooling video card

baha2

Reputable
Oct 12, 2016
hello one of my r9 280x fans stopped working and i am willing to buy a liquid cooling for it, but the power requirement for the cooler was 300w, i mean this is more than my card is consuming !
So if i am gonna to replace it, how many extra watts will now my card consume assuming the stock cooler also has high power requirement right?also i want only to liquid cool my GPU only is it possible (cooling noob here) ?
this is the cooler that i will mostly buy unless i find something better (or if it wont fit my card lol): https://www.arctic.ac/eu_en/accelero-hybrid-iii-120.html

specs: r9 280x xfx TDBD http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/products/amd-radeon-r9-200-series/amd-radeon-r9-280x-black-double-dissipation-edition-r9-280x-tdbd
psu:seasonic focus plus 650w platinum
cpu:i5 6500

Solution
No, I'm saying that fans fail. They are not expected to last forever and can be replaced.

Graphics cards often times have unique fan designs, for no practical reason, and some manufacturers even refuse to sell replacements when they have high rates of failure for some of their stupid fan designs.

My recommendation is to simply remove the plastic shroud, figure out if the dead fan is a 3-pin fan or a 4-pin fan, then order a suitable replacement. How you mount it can be a fun challenge, but I just used zip ties. I'm not out to impress anybody with how my computer looks, and nobody sees it anyway. You can get fans that are as good or better than what the manufacturers originally had on the card. You'll have to determine for yourself how...

The problem is that I can't quite verify if your card is using the stock mounting holes or not. If it's not no aftermarket cooler will fit.

I think you misread the product page for the cooling device you have listed. The cooling device does not require 300 watts of power to operate. It is rated to cool a graphics card that needs up to 300 watts of dissipation, which means it has more cooling capacity than your 280x needs.

Personally, I would remove the plastic shroud from the card, something you'll be doing anyway if you go the liquid cooling route, and see what kind of power connection the dead fan is using, then simply order a replacement of the same electrical connector type, either 3-pin or the more likely 4-pin PWM type, and then just zip tie or whatever fancy method you like, to hold the replacement fan in place. Unless the card is in a show computer, or your case has a window on it, you're obviously not going to see the difference. On the plus side, you save a large amount on the cost of a water cooling kit, don't have to worry about whether a cold plate will bolt up properly, don't have to worry that your VRM section will end up undercooled due to a loss in airflow, and can usually install a larger, quieter fan than was originally installed.

baha2

Reputable
Oct 12, 2016

so you are saying my problem could be in the fan wire?if so i will never go liquid cooling for sure xd
i sent it for repair and the guy just made a quick 1m test and he said i need to replace the cooler so i kinda freaked out

No, I'm saying that fans fail. They are not expected to last forever and can be replaced.

Graphics cards often times have unique fan designs, for no practical reason, and some manufacturers even refuse to sell replacements when they have high rates of failure for some of their stupid fan designs.

My recommendation is to simply remove the plastic shroud, figure out if the dead fan is a 3-pin fan or a 4-pin fan, then order a suitable replacement. How you mount it can be a fun challenge, but I just used zip ties. I'm not out to impress anybody with how my computer looks, and nobody sees it anyway. You can get fans that are as good or better than what the manufacturers originally had on the card. You'll have to determine for yourself how much you're willing to spend, as premium fans really can cost a premium price. Last fan I replaced aftermarket like this I just used a 120 mm Corsair fan I had sitting around. It's quiet and seems to get the job done better than what was originally on the card. The other fan on the card hasn't had issues.

Solution