[SOLVED] Regarding Motherboard replacement

iSpextor

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
Hello everyone,

I will be switching from a Z390 to a B660 (Gigabyte B660 GAMING X AX DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard) Motherboard in the process of a PC upgrade soon.
After research, I have read that my data might get lost in the process and that I'd need to activate Windows and so on. Though I have also read the opposite so I have some questions..

1. My Windows License is linked to my Microsoft Account. Will I still need to reinstall Windows using the same Drives?
  2. I have Windows installed on my C: drive SSD. If I had to reinstall Windows or anything else went wrong, would the data from my other non-C: Drives (+2 SSDs, 1 HDD) be deleted? If not, is there also a chance the data on my C: drive will also not be deleted?
  3. Is there anything specific I should definitely have prepared before replacing? If it's Backups I need, I'm fine having most of the stuff "backed up" on my other drives if the best-case scenario in Question 2 is that I won't lose the data.

If you need any more info on the setup, etc. please let me know and thank you so much if you took the time to read this far!

Solution
1. Operation and Licensing are two completely different things.
You can probably transfer your existing license to a new motherboard.
That does not change the fact that the new motherboard needs a fresh OS install.

2. Data on other drives is not affected. Because those drives will be physically disconnected during the OS install on the SSD.
(see tutorial below)

3. Anything on your current C drive that you do not wish to lose....have it backed up and offline.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
If your license is linked to your MS account you may not have to re-purchase, lose activation.

Changing the motherboard and CPU isn't going to wipe your drive, but when using new hardware you should consider a clean install for best results. I suggest backing up your info before making any changes. It is recommended that any time you perform an install that you disconnect other storage drives to avoid having (the installer) put partitions of the OS drive elsewhere. After you are finished you should be able to hook them back up, possibly have to initialize them in disk manager and all your data will be intact.

Hello everyone,

I will be switching from a Z390 to a B660 (Gigabyte B660 GAMING X AX DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard) Motherboard in the process of a PC upgrade soon.
After research, I have read that my data might get lost in the process and that I'd need to activate Windows and so on. Though I have also read the opposite so I have some questions..

1. My Windows License is linked to my Microsoft Account. Will I still need to reinstall Windows using the same Drives?
  2. I have Windows installed on my C: drive SSD. If I had to reinstall Windows or anything else went wrong, would the data from my other non-C: Drives (+2 SSDs, 1 HDD) be deleted? If not, is there also a chance the data on my C: drive will also not be deleted?
  3. Is there anything specific I should definitely have prepared before replacing? If it's Backups I need, I'm fine having most of the stuff "backed up" on my other drives if the best-case scenario in Question 2 is that I won't lose the data.
If you need any more info on the setup, etc. please let me know and thank you so much if you took the time to read this far!
  1. I f your old installation works at all it will be activated on new MB as soon as you log in with your MS account.
  2. No, other partitions are not affected unless you format whole disk and those partitions too.
3.. Backup is recommended anyway but I would also download new drivers for new HW in advance, Windows have most of drivers but they are usually on simple side and/or need updating.

USAFRet

Titan
1. Operation and Licensing are two completely different things.
You can probably transfer your existing license to a new motherboard.
That does not change the fact that the new motherboard needs a fresh OS install.

2. Data on other drives is not affected. Because those drives will be physically disconnected during the OS install on the SSD.
(see tutorial below)

3. Anything on your current C drive that you do not wish to lose....have it backed up and offline.

Solution