Regarding pin design

lingarajug

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
I purchased seasonic 1000w platinum SS 1000xp psu to upgrade and it has 12 pin design slot for pcie connection and the cables I have are only 8 pin and there is also an extra slot that supplies power for cpu/pcie that is also a 12 pin design instead of 8 pin, so how do I connect cables to these as the locking slot is in the middle and the custom sleeve cables I have don't have pin at the end, so how do I solve this puzzle instead of buying the cables as I spend around 90$ for these custom sleeved cables, thank you.

bignastyid

Titan
Sounds like the custom cable(s) you bought were not made for your PSU or are just extensions. PSU Modular cables are not universal. The original PCI-e cables for that unit have 12-pin on one side that connects to the PSU and the other end has 2 6+2 pin connectors.

bignastyid

Titan
The other 12-pin slot can be used for PCI-e(multiple GPU's) or a 2nd 8-pin CPU power connector, there are Server, Workstation and some high end overclocking board that use 2 CPU power connectors so many large PSUs have an option for the 2nd cpu power connector.

lingarajug

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
My apologies for the confusion, this psu has 1 18+10 Mobo pin, 1 8 pin cpu slot, 3 12 pin slots labelled for pcie, 1 12 pin slot labelled for cpu/pcie, 6 6 pin peripherals, I am going to use a Asus x299 rampage Apex board with 7900x cpu, in order to oc the cpu it's recommended to populate both 8 pin on Mobo, since this psu has only one 8 pin slot how do get to use the other 12 pin slot that's labelled for cpu/pcie and can I use a 8 pin y splitter to give power to both 8 pins on Mobo from single 8 pin slot on psu, thank you.

bignastyid

Titan
Do you still have the cables the PSU shipped with? That PSU comes with 2 8-pin cpu power connectors, 1 is 8-pin and the other is a 4+4(works in 4-pin and 8-pin ports. One of those cables will plug into that cpu/pci-e port on the PSU.

Do you have a link to the custom cables you ordered?

lingarajug

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013

bignastyid

Titan
That cable kit is not compatible with your PSU, which is why the cables aren't matching up. You XP is an older unit and those cables are made for the newer xp2 and xp3 models. I haven't found a place selling cables for your model, but www.moddiy.com/ makes custom cables so you could contact them and price a set that just includes the cables you will need. The other option is to buy a new PSU.

lingarajug

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
I believe the motherboard 24pin cable is the same for all seasonic models, I have to order a pcie power cable and my other question was can I use a Y splitter cable to split the 8 pin cpu cable.

TRENDING THREADS