Question Regarding PSU / GPU Watts

poodude28

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2014
Hello everyone, I currently have an i7 9700k at base clock (3.6Ghz), 16GB RAM, and a 1660S with a 500W Silver 80+ Thermaltake PSU.

I want to upgrade to a 3060 TI and was looking at PSU calculators, the Nvidia recommendation is 600W but a lot of people and calculators say that as long as you have a decent enough PSU 500w is fine. I'm just looking for some opinions, thanks.

https://www.amazon.ca/Thermaltake-500W-V2-3-Power-Supply/dp/B0058FAYQC?th=1
This is the one I've been using for quite some time.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Without you stating the age of the unit, I'd ask you to factor in a new, reliably built PSU to your purchase when you're looking for a GPU to pair your system with. The unit is not reliably built and more of an expensive paperweight. Surprised you powered your current rig with that unit.

Speaking of rig, what is the make and model of your motherboard?

Last edited:

poodude28

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2014
Without you stating the age of the unit, I'd ask you to factor in a new, reliably built PSU to your purchase when you're looking for a GPU to pair your system with. The unit is not reliably built and more of an expensive paperweight. Surprised you powered your current rig with that unit.

Speaking of rig, what is the make and model of your motherboard?
I've had it for a few years now, the thing can't be that bad with good ratings.

Lutfij

Titan
Amazon reviews...? All the PSU reviewers/threads out there have already stated that the unit is not good.

Even if the PSU you own was reliably built and brand new, the wattage alone wouldn't be enough for the GPU you're looking into as an upgrade. You should be looking into a reliably built 750W unit for your GPU and the rest of your platform.

poodude28

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2014
Amazon reviews...? All the PSU reviewers/threads out there have already stated that the unit is not good.

Even if the PSU you own was reliably built and brand new, the wattage alone wouldn't be enough for the GPU you're looking into as an upgrade. You should be looking into a reliably built 750W unit for your GPU and the rest of your platform.
750W is definitely overkill.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I've had it for a few years now, the thing can't be that bad with good ratings.
Looks like it's all the way down in Tier F.

Take those Amazon ratings with some salt.
For whatever reason, Amazon mixes product reviews; there's different wattage units listed in there, and they're not distinguishing whether the unit is the TR2 Gold, TR2 Bronze, TR2 White, or the non-certified TR2. They are not created equal.

750W is definitely overkill.
It might not be. Some folks have been getting bitten on what psus they can get away with on this gen.
RTX 30 series has crap power management - might be Nvidia's worst gen yet in this area - evidence in the GN video linked by Lutfij. AMD hasn't gotten as much attention, but their cards appear to be more forgiving.

Some of the aftermarket models have factory overclocks on them, and they will vary in extremity. The more aggressively clocked ones are going to have worse power management.